Discussing UK law. Links: swarb.co.uk | law-index | Acts | Members Image galleries

Hope?

To propose and debate astonishing propositions of law. Please stay polite and rational.

Re: Hope?

Postby 3.14 » Mon Dec 16, 2013 9:41 pm

Of more interest is to explore the far side of moon.
Hide in the noise. #hackerwisdom

Postby atticus » Mon Dec 16, 2013 9:58 pm

Of more interest? To whom? Why?
atticus

Postby landlordnightmare » Mon Dec 16, 2013 10:33 pm

3.14 wrote:Of more interest is to explore the far side of moon.

I believe that is the area of the moon we are talking about. And Pink Floyd got to that idea some time ago I believe - here we go again...but I give in on this one 'The far side of the moon' definitely existed before Pink Floyds' 'Dark Side of the Moon'

SASTIND said the orbit lowering thruster firing was “conducted above the dark side of the moon at 9:20 p.m.” on Dec. 10, Beijing local time.

from http://www.universetoday.com/107169/chinas-change-3-moon-rover-descends-to-lower-orbit-sets-up-historic-soft-landing/
Read more: http://www.universetoday.com/107169/chi ... z2ngFwzxQa

Hairyloon wrote:
atticus wrote:Do we actually have kit that can see objects on the moon, a quarter of a million miles away, with that degree of precision?

I believe they left some reflectors there which you can fire a laser at...

Firing lasers into space is, as far as I am aware, now likely to render you liable to arrest in this country - for risk of blinding a pilot (apparently). Or maybe it is just another part of the consipracy theory to make sure you cannot check out whether those reflectors left on the moon 'really exist' :?: :D
Note: I am not legally qualified, just been around a few blocks. The sorry cynic.
landlordnightmare

Postby landlordnightmare » Mon Dec 16, 2013 11:12 pm

oops I just realised 'free enery thread' is not the same as this one...

It seems they might have converged along similar lines....

see http://www.swarblaw.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=2847&p=35680#p35680

'International Space Law' sub-form might seem necessary after all.
Note: I am not legally qualified, just been around a few blocks. The sorry cynic.
landlordnightmare

Postby 3.14 » Mon Dec 16, 2013 11:49 pm

Of interest because only (rich) governments (at the moment) can possibly find out what exists there. no one on earth can observe it.
Hide in the noise. #hackerwisdom

Postby landlordnightmare » Tue Dec 17, 2013 1:06 am

3.14 wrote:Of interest because only (rich) governments (at the moment) can possibly find out what exists there. no one on earth can observe it.

Maybe that is why it is called 'the dark side?' The scientists of te 60's (I believe) just theorised about it and produced evidence for their theories that humans could not observe. Much of Science is like that - did you ever get to observe those Hydrogen and Oxygen atoms in a moleculur structure as it went down your throught with that glass of water?

Nobody on earth can observe from the ground in their immediate vicinity the fact that Earth is (or might be) round. We do, however, debate, and sometimes agree with other theories that cannot be observed by your average 'bod' on earth over a beer.

Just to be contrary I feel I might now enrol as a new member of 'The Flat Earth Society'! I will in future now wear a bungee belt just in case "I fall off the edge"
landlordnightmare

Postby landlordnightmare » Tue Dec 17, 2013 1:17 am

3.14 wrote:Of interest because only (rich) governments (at the moment) can possibly find out what exists there. no one on earth can observe it.

Not quite - you can now book you own planned space trip to land on Mars through a private enterprise (via the founder of PayPal I believe). A return ticket is not yet available as I understand it.
landlordnightmare

Postby atticus » Tue Dec 17, 2013 6:47 am

So, if I sign up for one of these trips to Mars, I'll get a good view of the dark side of the Moon. I didn't know that.
atticus

Postby Smouldering Stoat » Tue Dec 17, 2013 9:19 am

Is this the same trip to Mars for which there is no return journey planned?

There isn't a dark side of the moon. There is a farside however. The moon always presents the same face to the earth but the far side isn't in permanent darkness.

The fact that one is prohibited from shining laser pointers at aircraft has not prevented scientists from more than one country from using the retroreflectors left by the Apollo landings.

The ancient Greeks had worked out that the earth is round by looking at the horizon. I am unsure whether there was any beer involved. More likely retsina, presumably.
Smouldering Stoat

Postby cbcbcb » Wed Dec 18, 2013 1:02 am

LOL, dam conspiracy theorist nuts ! Believe what any dam gubberment tells ya to believe.

This topic was covered some years back on these boards. :lol:
cbcbcb

PreviousNext

Return to Just Mooting