Discussing UK law. Links: swarb.co.uk | law-index | Acts | Members Image galleries

Hope?

To propose and debate astonishing propositions of law. Please stay polite and rational.

Hope?

Postby dls » Mon Dec 16, 2013 12:46 pm

Any hope that the Chinese can be persuaded to settle for once an for all the discussions about whether or not the US actually went to the moon by driving over and looking?
David Swarbrick (Admin) dswarb@gmail.com - 0795 457 9992
dls
Site Admin

Re: Hope?

Postby atticus » Mon Dec 16, 2013 1:03 pm

But if they choose to say "nope, nothing"?
atticus

Postby Hairyloon » Mon Dec 16, 2013 3:07 pm

Have I told you the theory that they went to the moon and messed up the photographs.
Rather than admitting to that, they faked some better ones...
Take me to your lizard...
Hairyloon

Location: From there to here and here to there... Funny things are everywhere.

Postby 3.14 » Mon Dec 16, 2013 4:08 pm

What about all the equipment left behind? Easily proven that its there from Earth. This is why such speculation is nonsense.
Hide in the noise. #hackerwisdom

Postby landlordnightmare » Mon Dec 16, 2013 6:47 pm

3.14 wrote:What about all the equipment left behind? Easily proven that its there from Earth. This is why such speculation is nonsense.

Proven by whom? There are conspiracy theories that that evidence is not real either. No evidence of any flag planted it seems or is at least argued. I maintain an open mind.

And where would that golf ball be by now?
Note: I am not legally qualified, just been around a few blocks. The sorry cynic.
landlordnightmare

Postby atticus » Mon Dec 16, 2013 6:58 pm

Do we actually have kit that can see objects on the moon, a quarter of a million miles away, with that degree of precision? Even from earth orbit which is generally no more than 200 miles for most satellites. Seeing a car from 100 miles up is one thing, but from 2,500 times that distance?
atticus

Postby Hairyloon » Mon Dec 16, 2013 7:19 pm

atticus wrote:Do we actually have kit that can see objects on the moon, a quarter of a million miles away, with that degree of precision?

I believe they left some reflectors there which you can fire a laser at...
Take me to your lizard...
Hairyloon

Location: From there to here and here to there... Funny things are everywhere.

Postby Smouldering Stoat » Mon Dec 16, 2013 7:20 pm

Not from the earth, but the Lunar Reconnaissance Orbiter has photographed the surface of the moon in great detail and shown numerous artifacts from the Apollo landings. All but one of the flags is still standing (that from Apollo 11 was set up too close to the lander and was blown over when the ascent rocket fired*).

Further, Apollo 11, 14 and 15 all set up retroreflectors (mirrors set up to reflect light back in the direction it came from) to be used as targets for ranging lasers. These have been used extensively by independent researchers including many who have nothing to gain by perpetuating a hoax. To some extent these can be said to be "seen" from earth using the correct equipment.

*Amusingly, one of the claims repeatedly made by conspiracy theorists is that there weren't any effects from the rocket firing.
Smouldering Stoat

Postby Smouldering Stoat » Mon Dec 16, 2013 7:24 pm

landlordnightmare wrote:
3.14 wrote:What about all the equipment left behind? Easily proven that its there from Earth. This is why such speculation is nonsense.

Proven by whom? There are conspiracy theories that that evidence is not real either. No evidence of any flag planted it seems or is at least argued. I maintain an open mind.

And where would that golf ball be by now?

As stated above, the LRO has photographed the flags (and other stuff) in situ.

It's one thing to keep an open mind, but the evidence for the moon landings actually having happened is really quite compelling. It is one of the most extensively-evidenced events in the whole of human history. One would not keep an open mind as to the possible flatness of the earth, surely?
Smouldering Stoat

Postby dls » Mon Dec 16, 2013 8:59 pm

I just think it would be nice if the Chinese managed this.
David Swarbrick (Admin) dswarb@gmail.com - 0795 457 9992
dls
Site Admin

Next

Return to Just Mooting