Discussing UK law. Links: swarb.co.uk | law-index | Acts | Members Image galleries

Independent Scotland Currency?

To propose and debate astonishing propositions of law. Please stay polite and rational.

Independent Scotland Currency?

Postby dls » Wed Apr 24, 2013 1:18 pm

The recent debate about what currency would be adopted by an independent Scotland is no doubt polluted by politicking on both sides, but what possible sense can there be in Scotland losing its say in how the E&W economy is run, but tagging its economic decisions to that economy?

I can see that the Euro might once have given a false attraction, but in its absence, surely the only alternative is 'go it alone'. If not then what is independence about?
David Swarbrick (Admin) dswarb@gmail.com - 0795 457 9992
dls
Site Admin

Re: Independent Scotland Currency?

Postby stu1985 » Wed Apr 24, 2013 3:56 pm

Exactly. It's more of the same from the crazed Nats.

Surely it goes completely against the whole premise of independence if we will keep the currency of a foreign country when we become independent? And if we are wanting a clean break from the rest of the UK, why is it proposed we keep their Head of State?

It's as if the Nats have just thought up these 'policies' on the back of an envelope and not given a second's thought to the preposterousness of their ideas.
stu1985

Postby Hairyloon » Wed Apr 24, 2013 5:16 pm

Seems to me to be simply a combination of jingoism and not wanting to be ruled by that bunch of muppets in Westminster.
On the latter, I am in full agreement. Can we not instead vote for an independent UK?
Take me to your lizard...
Hairyloon

Location: From there to here and here to there... Funny things are everywhere.

Postby atticus » Wed Apr 24, 2013 5:36 pm

I'm confused. The United Kingdom is independent.

Or do you want to vote on throwing Scotland out of the Union?
atticus

Postby landlordnightmare » Wed Apr 24, 2013 7:46 pm

Hairyloon wrote:Seems to me to be simply a combination of jingoism and not wanting to be ruled by that bunch of muppets in Westminster.

Many of those 'muppets' are Scottish! Holyrood will just be all 'Scottish muppets' IMHO At least we might reduce the number at Westminster! Send them back north of the border :D

However there are alternatives that have not been thrown into the debate so far as I can see.

Check out some of the Carrinean territories (Sovereign) that tie their own currency to the U.S. dollar - and nearly all business transactions are carried out in US Dollar terms - and your average local business would always rather get US Dollar notes rather than their own notes - even with waitresses offering to swap their own (large for them) local cash for your own US dollar cash notes before you pay in cash in either currency.

Even Barbados works like that. Still not sure Scotland has the weather, the beaches, the people, the food or indeed the yachts to attact the US Dollar cash for such transactions! Or even English Sterling :D Not that I have anthything against the Scots at all - quite the opposite.

I might change my mind if too many of them vote for that clever dangerous idiot.

Maybe we should lock him and our own home secretary into a room together... possibly adjoining a room with Vicky Price & Chris Hulne and not let any of them out - until they have all come to an agreement (ever?)

What a load of political tosh IMHO.
Note: I am not legally qualified, just been around a few blocks. The sorry cynic.
landlordnightmare

Postby Hairyloon » Wed Apr 24, 2013 11:42 pm

atticus wrote:I'm confused. The United Kingdom is independent.

Nah, we're run by Westminster.
Take me to your lizard...
Hairyloon

Location: From there to here and here to there... Funny things are everywhere.

Postby landlordnightmare » Wed Apr 24, 2013 11:55 pm

Hairyloon wrote:
atticus wrote:I'm confused. The United Kingdom is independent.

Nah, we're run by Westminster.

We're talking an independent Scotland on this thread are we not?
Note: I am not legally qualified, just been around a few blocks. The sorry cynic.
landlordnightmare

Postby stu1985 » Thu Apr 25, 2013 9:25 am

Was the ape drunk when he posted? :?
stu1985

Postby atticus » Thu Apr 25, 2013 10:08 am

The United Kingdom is run by a London Borough? :o
atticus

Postby Smouldering Stoat » Thu Apr 25, 2013 2:06 pm

He must be referring to the Abbey.