Discussing UK law. Links: swarb.co.uk | law-index | Acts | Members Image galleries

Calais

Immigration, nationality, asylum, and extradition. Visas etc.

Re: Calais

Postby dls » Wed Sep 07, 2016 9:26 pm

OK, so Trump rightly comes in for huge criticism for promising a wall which will ensure that illegal immigrants from Mexico are stopped, what are we to say when we propose a wall in Calais with similar intent?

It may not be as big, but there are substantial similarities.
David Swarbrick (Admin) dswarb@gmail.com - 0795 457 9992
dls
Site Admin

Re: Calais

Postby shootist » Thu Sep 08, 2016 10:44 am

dls wrote:OK, so Trump rightly comes in for huge criticism for promising a wall which will ensure that illegal immigrants from Mexico are stopped, what are we to say when we propose a wall in Calais with similar intent?

It may not be as big, but there are substantial similarities.

Walls are there whatever the construct. If one country makes laws that prohibit unlimited unchecked immigration then it's a law that is, in effect, a wall. If there is no physical barrier to persons incoming (or outgoing) then the law can only be enforced by checks and enforced relocation outside the border. If this is not done then there is no law, because it is not enforced. If it is enforced then it has just become a very complex and confusing wall, but a wall for all that. What we have amongst the angst ridden is a variation upon a theme. A wall of whatever construction built to make the upholding of a legitimate law is a practical means of enforcement. But some will point at the history of the Berlin wall, for example. It's a wall they will cry, and it was a bad thing, so all walls are bad. It's a style of what some would describe as thinking that seem to be increasingly popular.
"I do not agree with what you say, but I'll defend to the death my right to be offended by it."
shootist

Previous

Return to Immigration