Discussing UK law. Links: swarb.co.uk | law-index | Acts | Members Image galleries

EEA expired passport and right to work

Immigration, nationality, asylum, and extradition. Visas etc.

EEA expired passport and right to work

Postby south1 » Tue Jul 05, 2016 9:26 pm

I made a request to renew my EEA passport beginning of May 2016 one month before it expired in beginning of June 2016. However my consulate gave me an appointment to renew it for the end of July 2016 i.e. nearly three months later. As a consequence I have been refused a job because my passport has expired. Moreover it will take between three and six weeks to be given my passport after this appointment and as a consequence I will be without a valid passport maybe until the end of August what prevent me from working and travelling abroad. I would like to know if I can do something about this because obviously my consulate is wrong. This big delay is due to the fact that there were two consulates and one has closed

I would like to know what to say to my consulate to have my passport renewed as soon as possible and also what to say to my employer to convince him that he can hire me even if my passport has expired because the following documents

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/s ... nts_v5.pdf

says

“All nationals from European Economic Area (EEA) countries and Switzerland, with the exception of Croatia, are free to live and work in the UK. They may demonstrate their right to work through their EEA (or Swiss) passport or national identity document Examples of passports and national identity cards may be seen here and you may accept an expired EEA or Swiss passport to establish the right to work (although check the photograph carefully against the physical image of the holder)”.

I think that what matters is that my passport is an EEA passport and even if it has expired it is evidence to my right to work in the UK. Moreover I can provide also my birth certificate and my National Insurance Card

I would like to know if you know the piece of legislation which says that I am right
south1

Re: EEA expired passport and right to work

Postby atticus » Tue Jul 05, 2016 9:29 pm

I do not.

Why did you not apply earlier? Not every woe that befalls you is someone else's fault.
atticus

Postby south1 » Tue Jul 05, 2016 10:03 pm

I thought that to apply one month in advance will be enough. The previous time I renewed my passport ten years ago I applied two weeks in advance without any problem and it was in the consulate that it now closed. My consulate should have informed me that I should have applied three months in advance.
south1

Postby south1 » Tue Jul 05, 2016 10:26 pm

I think that my consulate should have informed me in writing that now we need to apply three months in advance to renew a passport

I would like to know if some of you know somewhere like an immigration office where I can go and ask them to contact my employer to tell him that I can work legally with an expired EU passport
south1

Postby dls » Wed Jul 06, 2016 5:42 am

This does not appear to be a matter of UK law, but of whatever country is applicable.

t is indeed unfortunate, but I have to say that everything I have ever heard about passport arrangements suggests that in the absence of a cast iron promise (and sometimes even then), you give it much more time than you did.
David Swarbrick (Admin) dswarb@gmail.com - 0795 457 9992
dls
Site Admin

Postby south1 » Wed Jul 06, 2016 7:40 am

It seems to me that whether or not we can work with an expired EU passport in the UK is a matter of UK law.
south1

Postby diy » Wed Jul 06, 2016 9:37 am

Your rights haven't changed. Its up to the employer to be convinced he's can hire you based on the information you provided.
My suggestions are not legal advice
diy

Postby dls » Wed Jul 06, 2016 1:06 pm

It seems to me that whether or not we can work with an expired EU passport in the UK is a matter of UK law.

Correct, but the question seemed to be about your complaint about the non issue of a passport/permit.
David Swarbrick (Admin) dswarb@gmail.com - 0795 457 9992
dls
Site Admin

Return to Immigration