Discussing UK law. Links: swarb.co.uk | law-index | Acts | Members Image galleries

New UK immigration rules...

Immigration, nationality, asylum, and extradition. Visas etc.

Re: New UK immigration rules...

Postby shootist » Sun Jan 03, 2016 6:34 pm

Boo wrote:That would have been a qualified act - part of her training to ensure she delivered the best care possible.

As for the other nurses' remarks, you had every right to bring what you heard to their attention and/or make a complaint. Being overheard by patients making remarks like that is a no no.

You don't get qualifications for caring. It's a human thing. Not the sort of thing you can take an exam in.

And there would have been little point in complaining about the nurses I overheard. All that would be likely to achieve is to make them more careful about what they say, and where. It wouldn't teach them to care. The way you phrase your reply does rather make it sound like being heard making the remarks is what matters rather than them making the remarks, but I don't doubt that's not what you meant. The mere appearance of humanity by virtue of ticking the appropriate boxes is no substitute for the real thing.

Again you illustrate the problem. You don't learn common decency and caring from a government workbook.
"I do not agree with what you say, but I'll defend to the death my right to be offended by it."
shootist

Postby Boo » Sun Jan 03, 2016 7:16 pm

Ask any nurse why they go into the profession and 99% will tell you they want to care for people who are suffering. That's a kinda given - before any kind of course is undertaken. The ones who can't deliver are those who usually don't last the first year of training.

And you can be sure a clinical environment is a place for example, gallows humour. Shift handovers, debriefs and supervisions are also great outlets for frustrations and humour. Most couldn't do the job without that outlet. Same can be said for those who work in funeral directors, crematoriums and plenty other workplace settings. Stepford wives/husbands, we ain't.
But while on shift, caring and professionalism must come first.

I digress. This has little to do with the OP.
God - "I have made Mankind!"
Angels - "You screwed up a perfectly good monkey is what you did. Look at it. It's got anxiety!"
Boo

Postby atticus » Sun Jan 03, 2016 7:43 pm

It should be a no-no for any professional to be overheard by his client saying anything like that about his client. In fact, that ought to be a given for any "customer-facing" role.
atticus

Postby diy » Mon Jan 04, 2016 9:01 am

The solution will be "plastic nurses" something similar to "plastic police" that we have for Policing - i.e. PCSOs. Lesser duties delegated to the lesser qualified.

But with controls on immigration, perhaps demand on the service will be less to start with? I saw some data to say that non-resident NHS costs are about £2Bn - given the NHS budget is around £100bn, that 2% probably wont make much difference even if it could be reduced. Understanding the %age on non UK born use (to support a hypothesis that long term immigration controls will shrink the population) is harder to find. It is estimated that the UK has around 8M foreign born, so depending on how much you believe the UK population is around 65M, there is an argument that immigration controls will reduce both supply and demand.
My suggestions are not legal advice
diy

Postby Boo » Mon Jan 04, 2016 9:16 am

diy wrote:The solution will be "plastic nurses" something similar to "plastic police" that we have for Policing - i.e. PCSOs. Lesser duties delegated to the lesser qualified.

Auxiliaries/HCAs have been around for an age.

One place where I worked spent a bomb on agency workers. Some raked in more than the permanent staff.
Angels - "You screwed up a perfectly good monkey is what you did. Look at it. It's got anxiety!"
Boo

Postby Hairyloon » Mon Jan 04, 2016 1:22 pm

Boo wrote:One place where I worked spent a bomb on agency workers. Some raked in more than the permanent staff.

So they should: they have no job security or other perks. The thing that bothers me are the extortionate agency fees.
Take me to your lizard...
Hairyloon

Location: From there to here and here to there... Funny things are everywhere.

Postby diy » Mon Jan 04, 2016 1:58 pm

I'm sure said agencies also have to jump through all the normal "outsource the risk" hoops that are associated with working with the public sector.
My suggestions are not legal advice
diy

Postby Hairyloon » Mon Jan 04, 2016 3:10 pm

diy wrote:I'm sure said agencies also have to jump through all the normal "outsource the risk" hoops that are associated with working with the public sector.

Nothing that would justify the fees they were discussing on the wireless a while back: in many cases it seems that the agency gets more than the nurse.
Take me to your lizard...
Hairyloon

Location: From there to here and here to there... Funny things are everywhere.

Postby Boo » Mon Jan 04, 2016 4:45 pm

Hairyloon wrote:
Boo wrote:One place where I worked spent a bomb on agency workers. Some raked in more than the permanent staff.

So they should: they have no job security or other perks.

What perks?
Boo

Postby atticus » Mon Jan 04, 2016 5:18 pm

The rights of Agency Workers are set out in the Agency Workers Regulations 2010.
atticus

PreviousNext

Return to Immigration