Discussing UK law. Links: swarb.co.uk | law-index | Acts | Members Image galleries

Help About Insurance Claim Please !

Law of banking - cheques, PPI etc. Insurance, Financial Services/

Help About Insurance Claim Please !

Postby Maz JP » Mon Nov 07, 2016 7:12 pm

I wonder if anyone knows what I can do about this.

At the beginning of the year a lorry reversed into my wife's car, to such a degree that it was a write-off. She was traumatised but fortunately not hurt. She gave a detailed account to the insurance company (which sadly did not include any witness statements because at the time of the accident she was so upset it was the last thing she was thinking of).

Four months later, the insurance company get in touch to say that they are not honouring the claim (after initially of course saying they would) because an 'independent party' has approached them and provided a one line statement saying that she drove into the back of the lorry. We have seen this statement and know it to be a bald lie. And we can't help wondering why this witness has one come forward months later !

The easiest line for the insurance company to take is, naturally, to not dispute this (they say that an independent witness statement trumps my wife's word). And so it ends.

Almost as a matter of principle, since the insurance company has closed the case (and Mrs M. has lost her no claims bonus, although that's not the point), how can we take this further? Why should the two stories not be tested (as they would be if it went to court) ? Is there any point at all appealing to the Financial Ombudsman? Would they be interested in this, or is it out of their area of responsibility? Any good ideas gratefully received.
Maz JP

Re: Help About Insurance Claim Please !

Postby 3.14 » Mon Nov 07, 2016 8:24 pm

You can ask for the details of this witness and investigate them/their statement. If you won, the cost of the investigator could be claimed back.
Hide in the noise. #hackerwisdom

Postby atticus » Mon Nov 07, 2016 9:22 pm

Yes, Ombudsman.

If it comes to it, you can sue the insurance company. Insurance is a contract.
atticus

Postby Maz JP » Mon Nov 07, 2016 10:07 pm

3.14 wrote:You can ask for the details of this witness and investigate them/their statement. If you won, the cost of the investigator could be claimed back.

Sadly, no. We had to fight them to even see the statement.

The witness details - probably quite rightly - were redacted.
Maz JP

Postby 3.14 » Tue Nov 08, 2016 1:32 am

You know I worked as an Insurance investigator for a while. I used to do this type of thing all the time. Insurance companies do what is cheaper rather than what is the correct thing to do.
Hide in the noise. #hackerwisdom

Postby shootist » Tue Nov 08, 2016 10:30 am

There might be some mileage in making a complaint to the police, most probably on the basis of fraud. You'll probably be flogging a dead horse, but that's an issue with trying to find a police officer who can be bothered. It's at least another step to take.
"I do not agree with what you say, but I'll defend to the death my right to be offended by it."
shootist

Postby dls » Tue Nov 08, 2016 2:12 pm

Is there anything about the factual circumstances / location, which might assist.

The temptation is to push it.

Look at the extent and nature of the damage. A lorry reversing into a car will often do more damage than a car reversing into a lorry.
David Swarbrick (Admin) dswarb@gmail.com - 0795 457 9992
dls
Site Admin

Postby atticus » Tue Nov 08, 2016 2:30 pm

I was going to make that last point. What were the circumstances? I agree that a lorry reversing slowly is likely to do more damage to a car than a car moving forward at the same speed. How fast would a car have to be moving to sustain that amount of damage? How likely that the driver would be unscathed? Were airbags discharged?

I think that thought around those and other things may well show that one version of events is more likely than the other.
atticus

Postby Maz JP » Tue Nov 08, 2016 5:54 pm

All fo these points are true. (And the car was a write-off - albeit a Twizy!!)

I don't know about airbags - but it's a miracle that the driver was unhurt. But then it was a very slow, collision, so no whiplash whatsoever, as you might expect.

Things for me to think on. I'm grateful. And I would really like to push it as very far as possible!
Maz JP

Postby tph » Tue Nov 08, 2016 9:04 pm

It might be worth requesting the tucks digital tachometer data from your insurance company.
tph

Next

Return to Banking, Financial Services etc