Discussing UK law. Links: swarb.co.uk | law-index | Acts | Members Image galleries

Help About Insurance Claim Please !

Law of banking - cheques, PPI etc. Insurance, Financial Services/

Re: Help About Insurance Claim Please !

Postby Maz JP » Wed Jan 18, 2017 5:13 pm

I said the same to Mrs Maz.

Now, for understandable (albeit rather small and sad!) reasons perhaps I quite like the idea of going into the witness box and thundering on about the primacy of truth. Mrs Maz however is very much not in agreement with this, and so rather thought all of that resource (mental, £££, and otherwise) was not worth a small amount of money but no change in the insurers' policy that might accrue were we to win the case.

I really have learned a lot here about how lying can sadly pay.
Maz JP

Postby atticus » Wed Jan 18, 2017 5:14 pm

That is understandable.
atticus

Postby DannyJP » Wed Jan 18, 2017 6:53 pm

You earlier discounted the Ombudsman as it would take too long I think, do you have anything to lose or do you just (understandably) want to put it all behind you?
DannyJP

Postby diy » Thu Jan 19, 2017 6:44 am

If you think you can prove your case on the balance of probability, you sue the driver. You won't get to have a rant in the witness box. You'll stand on one side and he and maybe his witness on the other. You present your facts he, his. The judge asks lots of questions and you're done in an hour.

His best case is he loses a day and has some stress about going before a judge to repeat his lies. Few humans would not find that uncomfortable.
My suggestions are not legal advice
diy

Postby Maz JP » Thu Jan 19, 2017 8:27 am

diy wrote:If you think you can prove your case on the balance of probability, you sue the driver. You won't get to have a rant in the witness box. You'll stand on one side and he and maybe his witness on the other. You present your facts he, his. The judge asks lots of questions and you're done in an hour.

His best case is he loses a day and has some stress about going before a judge to repeat his lies. Few humans would not find that uncomfortable.

Yes. Sadly, the key witness, the lovely Mrs Maz, would also find it very stressful.
Maz JP

Postby diy » Thu Jan 19, 2017 9:35 am

Then you chalk it up and move on.

I'm out of pocket on something similar to the tune of £500. quick summary

1. hit by polish truck driver in a queue on a dual carriage way (left hand drive, lorry didn't look properly and basically drove in to the side of me.) its a fairly low car.
2. witnessed by police officer who was extremely helpful and helped me get all the necessary info of the driver including his insurance cards etc. I had photos
3. my insurance claimed against polish insurer who claimed driver wasn't insured.
4. my insurance dally about for 3 years and eventually (having taken £700 excess of me) offer me £200 compensation and tell me to claim on the UK MIB
5. UK MIB wont pay because polish insurers are scamming them as he is insured.
6. my insurers aren't interested - I suspect the damage to my car cost less that £700 trade price.

Its an easy scam for the foreign insurance company to claim a driver isn't insured knowing the claim will go in the two hard bin for the UK insurer.

If you haven't already - buy a dash cam - lidl do these from time to time for about £35. another 5er for a memory card.
My suggestions are not legal advice
diy

Postby atticus » Thu Jan 19, 2017 10:26 am

How does a dash cam help prove the driver is insured?
atticus

Postby Voldemort » Thu Jan 19, 2017 1:28 pm

Maz JP wrote:I said the same to Mrs Maz.

Now, for understandable (albeit rather small and sad!) reasons perhaps I quite like the idea of going into the witness box and thundering on about the primacy of truth. Mrs Maz however is very much not in agreement with this, and so rather thought all of that resource (mental, £££, and otherwise) was not worth a small amount of money but no change in the insurers' policy that might accrue were we to win the case.

I really have learned a lot here about how lying can sadly pay.

I would suggest starting the formal complaint process against the insurance company and if you have exhausted that avenue (with a formal final response from the insurance company), taking this to the ombudsman is recommended – they have been coming down hard on these types of tactics by insurance companies.

It costs nothing and there’s little that you or your wife needs to do. The difference is that a non-fault claim will have far less impact on your future premiums then a fault claim would do – you can test this on any insurance comparison site by getting quotes for the two different scenarios
Voldemort

Previous

Return to Banking, Financial Services etc