Discussing UK law. Links: swarb.co.uk | law-index | Acts | Members Image galleries

elderly relative fell for computer support scam

Law of banking - cheques, PPI etc. Insurance, Financial Services/

Re: elderly relative fell for computer support scam

Postby Hairyloon » Wed Apr 15, 2015 11:25 am

Voldemort wrote:Linux is indeed excellent, however it's not anywhere near as user friendly (for the novice) as Apple's platforms.

It is a heck of a lot cheaper though...
Take me to your lizard...
Hairyloon

Location: From there to here and here to there... Funny things are everywhere.

Postby atticus » Wed Apr 15, 2015 11:53 am

linux, ipad, whatever ... train your elderly rellies to be on their guard and to look out for scams. Just because you nerdy types are not aware of scams on these systems doesn't mean they won't happen and that your relly won't lose out as a result.

I bought my mum an ipad a few years ago. She had never used a computer before. They are pretty much "idiot-proof" for e-mail and many other things, and it gives her a great way of staying in touch. But I still remind her about security and stuff. I also monitor her e-mails (she knows I do) and I would delete anything dodgy before she sees it.
atticus

Postby diy » Mon May 18, 2015 8:30 am

All money was refunded - thanks for the information.

scams can occur on any device, but some devices make it harder to download harmful executables (trojans) without reasilising it. There are plenty of such trojans on the mac and iOS, however the centrally certified software repository approach that Unix variants use is inherently more secure. When you install a package on linux, you typically pull it from a repository rather than download an executable from anywhere on the net.

This particular fraud was no different that a criminal knocking on your door telling you your roof needs fixing urgently and charging you £50 to fix it, then popping the ladder up and breaking a load of other tiles and asking for more to fix those too.
My suggestions are not legal advice
diy

Postby shootist » Mon May 18, 2015 7:18 pm

Because a person is elderly and computer unaware doesn't mean they are a 'vulnerable person that needs safeguarding'. Those are terms straight out of the SS handbook and a gateway to some or other government appointed 'guardian' sticking the boot in.
"I do not agree with what you say, but I'll defend to the death my right to be offended by it."
shootist

Postby Slartibartfast » Mon May 18, 2015 9:00 pm

Oh Shooty, this topic had such a good vibe. Why go all "Grinchy" when people are just trying to protect old folks from being ripped-off?

PS - comparing it to the Nazi regime is an immediate Godwin Fail.
"Judicial tergiversation is not to be encouraged"
Slartibartfast

Postby diy » Tue May 19, 2015 6:17 am

There was a good ITV program last night on the problem "Scammers".. The sad thing is the person is still not 100% sure they were being ripped off.
diy

Postby shootist » Tue May 19, 2015 7:05 am

Slartibartfast wrote:Oh Shooty, this topic had such a good vibe. Why go all "Grinchy" when people are just trying to protect old folks from being ripped-off?

PS - comparing it to the Nazi regime is an immediate Godwin Fail.

Your assumption that 'SS' stands for something other than Social Services leaves you firmly in that ''Godwin Fail', not I. ;)
"I do not agree with what you say, but I'll defend to the death my right to be offended by it."
shootist

Postby Boo » Tue May 19, 2015 7:22 am

shootist wrote:Because a person is elderly and computer unaware doesn't mean they are a 'vulnerable person that needs safeguarding'. Those are terms straight out of the Social Services (there, I've fixed that for you) handbook and a gateway to some or other government appointed 'guardian' sticking the boot in.

I wouldn't know what the Social Services handbook says, and I'm surprised to find out you do! :o :lol:

Thankfully diy was able to safeguard his elderly relative from having more money fleeced from his account. If only there were more people like him and less sour puss old selves out there...

As for guardianships/appointeeships, there are extremely difficult to appoint. They wouldn't get involved in this situation.
God - "I have made Mankind!"
Angels - "You screwed up a perfectly good monkey is what you did. Look at it. It's got anxiety!"
Boo

Postby diy » Tue May 19, 2015 8:19 am

One of the tells is "unlimited lifetime free support". The only one who gives that is your relative who vaguely works in the industry. :roll:
diy

Previous

Return to Banking, Financial Services etc