Discussing UK law. Links: swarb.co.uk | law-index | Acts | Members Image galleries

Select Committee bullies

Law of banking - cheques, PPI etc. Insurance, Financial Services/

Select Committee bullies

Postby dls » Mon Mar 09, 2015 10:22 pm

The behaviour of the select committee taking banking executives of a large bank to task is pure bullying. Margaret Hodge in particular behaves in a nasty fashion.

they know that they can treat people as they wish with no element of restraint or answerability. Such power should come with restraint and dignity. MH in particular abuses her power.

I am utterly ashamed of them. They are a disgrace. They clearly enjoy bear baiting so long as the bear has had its teeth and claws drawn, and is chained up. It is cowardly behaviour.
David Swarbrick (Admin) dswarb@gmail.com - 0795 457 9992
dls
Site Admin

Re: Select Committee bullies

Postby atticus » Mon Mar 09, 2015 10:44 pm

Yes, I was watching on the news, and was struck by the grandstanding of the politicians asking the questions. I was amazed that nobody got up and said "I don't have to put up with this".
atticus

Postby Slartibartfast » Mon Mar 09, 2015 11:01 pm

Agreed. Private Eye runs regular items on these hearings, and it seems most members of the committee are concerned mainly with soundbites. They want to sound like they're on the side of the ordinary people, even though they are in a privileged and wealthy elite.

And when they *do* get some real scoundrel before them, they fail to press the challenge with any clarity or skill. Mandarins from the MoD or whatever just run rings round them, with a sweet Sir Humphrey smile.
"Judicial tergiversation is not to be encouraged"
Slartibartfast

Postby Goldensyrup » Mon Mar 09, 2015 11:04 pm

A select committee with no power whatsoever to do anything with the criminals that come before them.
Goldensyrup

Postby dls » Tue Mar 10, 2015 6:15 am

A select committee with no power whatsoever to do anything with the criminals that come before them.

And who demonstrate a complete unfitness to have any such power.

That they should manage to engender sympathy for bankers may say all we need to know.
David Swarbrick (Admin) dswarb@gmail.com - 0795 457 9992
dls
Site Admin

Postby diy » Tue Mar 10, 2015 8:42 am

The way they ask question - is it yes or no, if its yes your are a criminal, if no an idiot, which is it? We all know MPs are the absolute best at dodging questions. Its about time MH resigned. Its a pointless parade at tax payers expense. I recall in 2012, the press was full of stories about her investment's tax efficiency.
My suggestions are not legal advice
diy

Postby Millbrook2 » Tue Mar 10, 2015 4:06 pm

MH is a rude, aggressive, bile ridden disgrace.

She also seems not to have grasped the difference between executive and non executive Board members duties which adds stupid to the list.
Millbrook2

Return to Banking, Financial Services etc