Discussing UK law. Links: swarb.co.uk | law-index | Acts | Members Image galleries

Energy co-operatives.

Law of banking - cheques, PPI etc. Insurance, Financial Services/

Energy co-operatives.

Postby Hairyloon » Sun Dec 07, 2014 11:36 am

A number of renewable energy co-operative applications have been blocked by the Financial Conduct Authority (FCA) on the grounds that members would not participate enough in these co-operatives...
A spokeswoman for the regulator said FCA’s rules required member participation in co-operatives further than just investing in them. However, energy co-operatives are too small to apply for licenses to be able to sell electricity from renewable sources directly to members and usually sell to the national grid and divide the profits between members.

http://www.thenews.coop/88879/news/ener ... peratives/

Some people are petitioning to change this decision, and I can see their point, but without delving too deeply, I think the FCA probably have it right.

The concept of an energy cooperative is a good one though, so it seems to me that the answer is to find a way to enable these organisations to supply energy to their members in order that they do meet the FCA requirements of cooperatives.

Do we know what are the regulations that prevent them from trading, and can we think of a way through them?
Take me to your lizard...
Hairyloon

Location: From there to here and here to there... Funny things are everywhere.

Return to Banking, Financial Services etc