Discussing UK law. Links: swarb.co.uk | law-index | Acts | Members Image galleries

Winners who didn't really want to win

A place to sit about and chat between more important things.

Winners who didn't really want to win

Postby atticus » Thu Jan 04, 2018 9:18 am

For some time now an American friend and I have agreed that neither Trump nor Johnson actually wanted to win.

Trump - this was based on his demeanour in that early visit to Obama in the White House. Trump looked like a rabbit caught in the headlights.

Johnson - my theory is that he calculated that he could lead a plucky but losing Leave campaign, and then as the healer who accepted the result be well placed to succeed Cameron in 2018/19. We all remember Mrs Gove saying immediately afterwards "you were only supposed to blow the bloody doors off".

Now the New York Magazine has written a detailed article Trump didn't want to be President. An extract:

As the campaign came to an end, Trump himself was sanguine. His ultimate goal, after all, had never been to win. “I can be the most famous man in the world,” he had told his aide Sam Nunberg at the outset of the race. His longtime friend Roger Ailes, the former head of Fox News, liked to say that if you want a career in television, first run for president. Now Trump, encouraged by Ailes, was floating rumors about a Trump network. It was a great future. He would come out of this campaign, Trump assured Ailes, with a far more powerful brand and untold opportunities.

“This is bigger than I ever dreamed of,” he told Ailes a week before the election. “I don’t think about losing, because it isn’t losing. We’ve totally won.”
atticus - a very stable genius
atticus

Re: Winners who didn't really want to win

Postby shootist » Thu Jan 04, 2018 10:43 am

Given the endless and often baseless attacks on True by the MSM I suspect that the article you quote has no more truth in it than the rest of them. Perhaps a classic case of bias confirmation?

As for Boris, I think he was as well on course for a leadership challenge whichever side he was on regarding Brexit. Which is far from saying that any such challenge would have succeeded. But Boris seems to me, in relative political terms, probably just a bit too straightforward to try being so devious in such an important matter. But when someone dislikes a person it is easy to attribute bad qualities to them.
"I do not agree with what you say, but I'll defend to the death my right to be offended by it."
shootist

Re: Winners who didn't really want to win

Postby dls » Thu Jan 04, 2018 2:55 pm

I have a very dear friend I have known for over fifty years. Given the chance he will divert any conversation to the most peculiar assertions. A few days ago he was on about Hitler having escaped Berlin at teh end of the last war.

The proper response can only be
It isn't proven either way
It would make no difference to anything at all if it is true or isn't true
I am happy to take a working assumption that it is false, but have no interest whatever in the question and will not waste time pursing it.

Ditto any uestion of whether either Trump or Johnson wnted to win.

We each of us lead very complicated lives. Eventually decisions to do something 'because I want to' should never be taken as assertions that there are not many perfectly compatible urges on my part not to want to do exactly the same thing.
David Swarbrick (Admin) dswarb@gmail.com - 0795 457 9992
dls
Site Admin

Return to The Robing Room