Discussing UK law. Links: swarb.co.uk | law-index | Acts | Members Image galleries

mobile phone bill

A place to sit about and chat between more important things.

mobile phone bill

Postby diy » Thu Dec 21, 2017 8:12 am

I know there isn't really any recourse to this as its my job to monitor this and read the contract.. but I can't help feeling a little bit ripped off. Mobile phones seem to be mandatory items for kids in secondary school and both of mine have phones. They are on the "bargain" free iphone for 15 quid a month type deals. The problem is the sneaky network sends them these "free data upgrade" texts and they think they are getting free data. I've told them not to accept, but it turns out (after I've been getting a nearly £70 monthly bill) that one has run up £25 of out of plan calls and the other is paying £6 for 1gb and £10 for 2gb top ups, which he also doesn't use as he's got data switched off. When I looked at the out of plan charges, I could hardly chastise my youngest, because each call (even if just a few seconds) is charged at 55p per minute. So a quick call to his mate which went to voice mail several times over a period of about 5 minutes - cost him (me) £4.

I think the answer is to upgrade them to sim only when they come off contract and get a better bundle.
My suggestions are not legal advice
diy

Re: mobile phone bill

Postby atticus » Thu Dec 21, 2017 9:41 am

What are the terms on which you have permitted the users to use these phones? Are you entitled to set off the extra charges against pocket money?
atticus

Re: mobile phone bill

Postby Boo » Thu Dec 21, 2017 10:47 am

diy wrote:Mobile phones seem to be mandatory items for kids in secondary school

Well, they're not. Ya may wanna update yourself with your school's policies and procedures.

diy wrote:I think the answer is to upgrade them to sim only when they come off contract and get a better bundle.

Yoghurt pots and string?
God - "I have made Mankind!"
Angels - "You screwed up a perfectly good monkey is what you did. Look at it. It's got anxiety!"
Boo

Return to The Robing Room