Discussing UK law. Links: swarb.co.uk | law-index | Acts | Members Image galleries

Cyberchondria

A place to sit about and chat between more important things.

Cyberchondria

Postby atticus » Tue Sep 19, 2017 11:27 am

I read an article recently about "Cyberchondria"*. Apparently people reading stuff on the internet and being convinced that they have self-diagnosed with leprosy or whatever is costing the NHS bucketloads** in unnecessary tests.

Lawyers sometimes get the equivalent from clients.

I am sure that other professions and trades do as well, even tree surgeons!

ETA:

* https://theconversationuk.cmail20.com/t ... dvptkyu-u/

**£56m annually - money over which the NHS could get back control.
atticus - a very stable genius
atticus

Re: Cyberchondria

Postby 3.14 » Tue Sep 19, 2017 1:23 pm

Probably, my profession is the only one that 99% if a client thinks her partner is cheating on her then he probably is.
Hide in the noise. #hackerwisdom

Postby shootist » Tue Sep 19, 2017 7:21 pm

atticus wrote:I read an article recently about "Cyberchondria"*. Apparently people reading stuff on the internet and being convinced that they have self-diagnosed with leprosy or whatever is costing the NHS bucketloads** in unnecessary tests.

The other side of that coin is, so I have read, that a significant number of people have researched their complaints on the internet and as a result have mitigated their problems even to the extent of possibly saving their life. As long as home medical encyclopaedias have been available they have been the hypochondriac's friend. Personally I am glad that the days of the doctor feeling insulted that a patient dare question a diagnosis are receding.
"I do not agree with what you say, but I'll defend to the death my right to be offended by it."
shootist

Postby Smouldering Stoat » Tue Sep 19, 2017 7:54 pm

I have noticed that the last couple of times I've seen my GP she's asked me if I've googled my symptoms. It must be a complete pain in the arse to have so many patients turning up convinced that they already know what's wrong with them. Don't knock hypochondria, though: one of the reasons men die younger than women is because we put off getting medical advice until it's too late. While I am generally the sort of person who can't have a headache without convincing himself he's having a stroke, I did once go to my GP with a headache that was, in fact, a stroke.

And yes, people must always have found reasons to convince themselves they're really ill. Jerome K Jerome's Three Men in a Boat begins with the hero reading a medical dictionary in the British Museum and convincing himself he's got everything except Housemaid's Knee. Coincidentally my wife's grandmother was Jerome's tweenie maid. History doesn't record the state of her knees.
Smouldering Stoat

Return to The Robing Room