Discussing UK law. Links: swarb.co.uk | law-index | Acts | Members Image galleries

WTF is the point of ... ?

A place to sit about and chat between more important things.

Re: WTF is the point of ... ?

Postby shootist » Wed Sep 06, 2017 12:59 pm

diy wrote:wtf is the point of an electric car if it costs more than the equivalent ICE car including its life time fuel consumption.

It gives assorted tree huggers a warm cosy feeling that they are saving the planet, which is about as realistic as their unjustified sense of moral superiority.

The planet is running out of consumable energy. Something must be done. Electric cars are something, therefore they must be done.
"I do not agree with what you say, but I'll defend to the death my right to be offended by it."
shootist

Postby Hairyloon » Wed Sep 06, 2017 3:19 pm

shootist wrote:
diy wrote:wtf is the point of an electric car if it costs more than the equivalent ICE car including its life time fuel consumption.

It gives assorted tree huggers a warm cosy feeling that they are saving the planet, which is about as realistic as their unjustified sense of moral superiority.

The planet is running out of consumable energy. Something must be done. Electric cars are something, therefore they must be done.

I think perhaps the main drive is to reduce pollution in city centres...
Take me to your lizard...
Hairyloon

Location: From there to here and here to there... Funny things are everywhere.

Postby atticus » Wed Sep 06, 2017 3:27 pm

And other areas; also to reduce fossil fuel consumption and emission of carbon into the atmosphere, all thereby making the world a better place.
atticus

Postby Hairyloon » Wed Sep 06, 2017 3:46 pm

The point is though, that they tend to not do the latter: only a fraction of our energy (is it as much as 15%?) comes from renewable sources, the rest is emitting carbon.
Not forgetting the carbon footprint of making the car in the first place: I understand the technology makes significant use of rare Earth minerals...
I hear the wars fought over the mining areas for such things are quite unpleasant.

But still, the bit of the world we are looking at is a better place and that is what matters...

Take me to your lizard...
Hairyloon

Location: From there to here and here to there... Funny things are everywhere.

Postby atticus » Wed Sep 06, 2017 3:50 pm

15% is more than nothing. It is more than 10 years ago. The figure will be higher in 10 years.
atticus

Postby Boo » Wed Sep 06, 2017 6:54 pm

diy wrote:Chapter 1 of how to win friends and influence people explains why even people with the sickest, most evil intentions by any reasonable measure, thought they were a decent bloke really. Its human nature - very few sane people will accept they are evil.

Oh those serial killers. They've got stuff to do. They can't carry out their fantasies if everyone knows what they're up to.

Those interviews with the neighbours on hearing the occupant at number 14 was busy murdering: "Oh, they were quiet. No problems with them at all. Kept themselves to themselves..."
God - "I have made Mankind!"
Angels - "You screwed up a perfectly good monkey is what you did. Look at it. It's got anxiety!"
Boo

Postby atticus » Fri Sep 08, 2017 3:18 pm

... Going outside in this weather?

(I think we're just experiencing the tail end of Hurricane Donald).
atticus

Postby Russell » Sun Sep 10, 2017 4:26 pm

LOL everyone wants to make the world a better place. Yes, to deflect that you're actually a selfish arsehole who makes the world a worse place. Lets try and change something that is out of my control (the world), whilst ignoring what is in my control (my life). Its in our nature to be selfish arsehole and as it happens there is no better example of this then the legal profession. * That is my opinion so lets leave it at that and not let this turn into a lawyer bashing thread.

I have no desire at all to make the world a better place. But I do have a strong desire to make 'my' world a better place. And you know what, I can give tangible examples of how I've done this and how it's benefited other people. I live in the real world and helping those 'directly around me' is given the same priority as breathing and eating, so I don't feel the need to mention it. And it also frees you to prioritise living a life of experiences, which may or may not be to help others, or equally they might be totally selfish. Although saying that, all the best experiences in life are those that are shared.
If you can't talk about the problem, how are you ever going to even start talking about the solution?
Russell

Postby diy » Tue Sep 12, 2017 10:11 am

wtf is the point of a £2k handbag?
My suggestions are not legal advice
diy

Postby atticus » Tue Sep 12, 2017 10:36 am

conspicuous consumption; to make Mrs diy feel you don't love her enough when compared with her friends who get all the stuff they want. Give her a backpack.
atticus

PreviousNext

Return to The Robing Room