Discussing UK law. Links: swarb.co.uk | law-index | Acts | Members Image galleries

When does coincidence become supernatural?

A place to sit about and chat between more important things.

Re: When does coincidence become supernatural?

Postby atticus » Sun Jul 16, 2017 9:43 pm

On the internet.
atticus

Postby Voldemort » Mon Jul 17, 2017 10:43 am

Never.

Coincidences are a consequence of mathematics coupled with the psychology of people. Low probability events happen all the time, however we only pay attention to those that have some significance to us.

Often when people can’t identify causality, they pin it on the “supernatural” – it’s the easier option.
Voldemort

Postby 3.14 » Mon Jul 17, 2017 1:51 pm

Hide in the noise. #hackerwisdom

Postby Russell » Mon Jul 17, 2017 4:48 pm

3.14 wrote:http://www.salgado-reyes.com/2014/03/25/ghost-story/

Okay that was very creepy, didn't expect the walking back-down :o How have you rationalised it?
If you can't talk about the problem, how are you ever going to even start talking about the solution?
Russell

Postby 3.14 » Mon Jul 17, 2017 4:58 pm

I do not rationalise things. It remains unexplained.

Postby Russell » Mon Jul 17, 2017 5:01 pm

This is my story. I had a friend who would often spoke of unexplained noises when people died, like a bang on a window, her daughter is the same. And at times they witness them together. I simply didn't believe it.

Then last week I found out this friend had died. At the same time I brought a map of abandoned places (urbex) in the midlands. I selected from this map an abandoned railway with limited amount of carriages. When there (with OH), we heard a big bang coming from one of the carriages. There is no easy explanation for this bang. Its in the middle of nowhere, with no other people around. I did think back to this person and the noises she'd claim to hear but thought nothing more of it.

Then when I got home I zoomed in on the photo we took of the carriage and it had my initials on it. Which was odd because I already knew I'd seen my initials on another carriage. We then looked into further and found a third carriage that had them. And then another with the first 2 letters, and another with the last 2 letters. On this whole site there are very few carriages that still have any readable numbers. Other stuff happened after.

I've tried to see if my initials would for any reason be common in these situation but as they are all in different formats I can't see it to be the case. I've also looked at a large selection of random photos of simiair carriages on google photos and not found a single one of my initials or part initials. What are the odds of this, can it be qualified?
If you can't talk about the problem, how are you ever going to even start talking about the solution?
Russell

Postby 3.14 » Mon Jul 17, 2017 5:09 pm

Were these letters on there when you arrived? Are you saying one minute there's nothing and then these letters appeared?

Postby Russell » Mon Jul 17, 2017 5:28 pm

No they have always been there.
Russell

Postby 3.14 » Mon Jul 17, 2017 5:46 pm

So where is the coincidence then?

Postby 3.14 » Mon Jul 17, 2017 5:52 pm

BTW, structures often make sound as they cool or heat up throughout the day or night. Also animals often make sound when jumping on things or running into things.

PreviousNext

Return to The Robing Room