Discussing UK law. Links: swarb.co.uk | law-index | Acts | Members Image galleries

When does coincidence become supernatural?

A place to sit about and chat between more important things.

When does coincidence become supernatural?

Postby Russell » Sun Jul 16, 2017 1:02 am

I've had a series of events happen that are so extraordinary that they must be trillions to 1. I cannot rationally accept a supernatural explanation, but I've certainly had to consider it. Has anyone had a similar experience? And at what point would coincidence start to become too much of a coincidence?
If you can't talk about the problem, how are you ever going to even start talking about the solution?
Russell

Re: When does coincidence become supernatural?

Postby Hairyloon » Sun Jul 16, 2017 1:25 am

Russell wrote:I've had a series of events happen that are so extraordinary that they must be trillions to 1.

I suspect that you have miscalculated the probabilities, but I know where you are coming from.

I cannot rationally accept a supernatural explanation, but I've certainly had to consider it.

Nature is pretty super; that she does something that we are unable to explain does not make it supernatural.

Has anyone had a similar experience? And at what point would coincidence start to become too much of a coincidence?

Wouldn't it be an amazing coincidence if everybody here had experienced an amazing coincidence...
Take me to your lizard...
Hairyloon

Location: From there to here and here to there... Funny things are everywhere.

Postby atticus » Sun Jul 16, 2017 12:14 pm

It may be the pharmaceuticals.
atticus

Postby shootist » Sun Jul 16, 2017 2:29 pm

If the odds against something happening are scientifically and correctly calculated a trillion to one, that proves one thing. That it can happen. Then you have to define supernatural. The usual meaning is something related to ghosts, God, or things that go bump in the night. These are, IMO, for the most part utter bollocks. Strange things happen, indeed it would be strange if they did not.
"I do not agree with what you say, but I'll defend to the death my right to be offended by it."
shootist

Postby 3.14 » Sun Jul 16, 2017 3:11 pm

Things happen that are improbable which means they are possible. In an almost infinite universe, strange things (what we currently cannot explain) can happen. Also, take into account that the human brain is geared toward making sense out of randomness.
Hide in the noise. #hackerwisdom

Postby Russell » Sun Jul 16, 2017 4:45 pm

shootist wrote:If the odds against something happening are scientifically and correctly calculated a trillion to one, that proves one thing. That it can happen. Then you have to define supernatural. The usual meaning is something related to ghosts, God, or things that go bump in the night. These are, IMO, for the most part utter bollocks. Strange things happen, indeed it would be strange if they did not.

Yes this is how I've rationalised. However, as much as I only accept scientific evidence as my beliefs this has made me wonder. Its so many magnitudes beyond any coincidence I've ever experienced before and thanksfully they were observed by others as well, or I'd be doubting my sanity :)
If you can't talk about the problem, how are you ever going to even start talking about the solution?
Russell

Postby Russell » Sun Jul 16, 2017 4:47 pm

3.14 wrote:Things happen that are improbable which means they are possible. In an almost infinite universe, strange things (what we currently cannot explain) can happen. Also, take into account that the human brain is geared toward making sense out of randomness.

Yes I'm now hyper alert for other connections and seeing them often but most can be rationalised as probable.
Russell

Postby Russell » Sun Jul 16, 2017 4:48 pm

Surely, others have at least had experiences that are difficult to explain? Hasn't everyone?
Russell

Postby 3.14 » Sun Jul 16, 2017 5:03 pm

I have. It's on my blog for the most part.
Hide in the noise. #hackerwisdom

Postby Russell » Sun Jul 16, 2017 7:50 pm

Where do I find your blog?
Russell

Next

Return to The Robing Room