Discussing UK law. Links: swarb.co.uk | law-index | Acts | Members Image galleries

The RAF and Dunkirk

A place to sit about and chat between more important things.

The RAF and Dunkirk

Postby shootist » Mon Jul 03, 2017 6:27 pm

It has long been an article of faith that the RAF badly let down the army at Dunkirk in the last war. Last night I watched a program on the idiot box that proved to the contrary, with recently released documents from the National Archives. It seems that the evidence is that the RAF was fighting hard out of sight of the beaches and in fact were responsible for allowing the rescue of over 300,000 troops from the beaches to go ahead. Had they not been there then it was almost certain that the troops would have been forced to surrender, as would most likely, Great Britain, shortly after. That’s how things were, but it’s nice to have the record set straight.

The program is due to be repeated Wednesday 2100 on channel 47 freeview, if anyone is interested. The program was about 70% padding with old info but the latter part contained the interesting stuff.
"I do not agree with what you say, but I'll defend to the death my right to be offended by it."
shootist

Re: The RAF and Dunkirk

Postby Hairyloon » Wed Jul 05, 2017 8:05 pm

shootist wrote:The program is due to be repeated Wednesday 2100 on channel 47 freeview, if anyone is interested. The program was about 70% padding with old info but the latter part contained the interesting stuff.

That's now, BTW. Also available in HD on Freeview 110.
Take me to your lizard...
Hairyloon

Location: From there to here and here to there... Funny things are everywhere.

Re: The RAF and Dunkirk

Postby Hairyloon » Thu Jul 06, 2017 9:55 am

I imagine it would be a better show for those concerned about the RAF's alleged absence from the proceedings, but TBH, I think I was unaware of it until you brought it up.

But some reports they mentioned show a real lack of joined up thinking: not letting the RAF pilots who had been shot down onto the boats because the RAF were not there...
Take me to your lizard...
Hairyloon

Location: From there to here and here to there... Funny things are everywhere.

Return to The Robing Room