Discussing UK law. Links: swarb.co.uk | law-index | Acts | Members Image galleries

The Trial on channel 4

A place to sit about and chat between more important things.

The Trial on channel 4

Postby Scienke » Mon May 22, 2017 7:24 pm

Anyone watching this? I thought it sounded a bit silly, a fake trial to show the inner workings of the justice system. But it's rather better than I expected.

http://www.channel4.com/programmes/the- ... the-family
Scienke

Re: The Trial on channel 4

Postby Spankymonkey » Mon May 22, 2017 9:41 pm

I considered having a look at it on Sky catchup. I took one look at a picture of the 'defendant' and scooted right on by. Straight out of central casting.

Isn't it just a revamp of that long forgotten daytime show Crown Court. If anyone remembers that.
Spankymonkey

Postby Smouldering Stoat » Mon May 22, 2017 10:29 pm

I remember that from the school holidays. In Crown Court the lawyers and judge were all actors.
Smouldering Stoat

Postby Scienke » Mon May 22, 2017 11:01 pm

As far as I can tell only the defendant and the witnesses are actors. The judge, jury and barristers are real I believe.
Scienke

Postby shootist » Tue May 23, 2017 8:12 am

Scienke wrote:As far as I can tell only the defendant and the witnesses are actors. The judge, jury and barristers are real I believe.

And it seems that they are acting to a script which in turn means there is an agenda.
"I do not agree with what you say, but I'll defend to the death my right to be offended by it."
shootist

Postby Scienke » Tue May 23, 2017 11:23 am

Do you think the jurors are acting to a script? They seem to be quite natural to me.
Scienke

Postby Spankymonkey » Wed May 24, 2017 12:00 am

shootist wrote:
Scienke wrote:As far as I can tell only the defendant and the witnesses are actors. The judge, jury and barristers are real I believe.

And it seems that they are acting to a script which in turn means there is an agenda.

What's the agenda? It being a Channel 4 production there can only be two to choose from?

Domestic violence by chance and eeeeeeeeeevil men?
Spankymonkey

Postby Labrador » Tue Jun 27, 2017 1:19 pm

I watched this programme with interest the jury were not acting to script and I found the differing opinions interesting .
My initial thought on the defendant's slow response to call the police hang up and call back created alarm bells to which I admit I ignored later because I thought the boyfriend committed the murder so I was wrong .
Did anyone guess right and find the defendant guilty here?
Labrador

Postby Boo » Tue Aug 01, 2017 6:25 pm

Shame about the spoiler!

I watched it.
It was way too long.

I found the insights from the prosecution & defence team really interesting.

It's certainly something megaman should watch...
God - "I have made Mankind!"
Angels - "You screwed up a perfectly good monkey is what you did. Look at it. It's got anxiety!"
Boo

Postby Russell » Tue Aug 01, 2017 11:20 pm

Just watched it and I feel so cheated :(

We were told, he called 999 hung up, called a friend, then called 999. At no point was the call to a friend mentioned in court and even the reveal at the end didn't reveal it. Further, there was no expert called to explain the forensics. This was nothing but a farce, no reasonable person could have convicted on the evidence presented. So yes SpankyMonkey is correct, its was a men are evil and can get away with murder, but in reality the case was always going to reach a not guilty or be hung. This should not have been represented itself in anyway as being real. I personally refused to guess guilty or not guilty because it was not a complete case.

The only thing that can be learnt from this is, the audience even when primed to assess the evidence, still don't assess the evidence.
If you can't talk about the problem, how are you ever going to even start talking about the solution?
Russell

Next

Return to The Robing Room