Discussing UK law. Links: swarb.co.uk | law-index | Acts | Members Image galleries

Electric pressure cooker

A place to sit about and chat between more important things.

Electric pressure cooker

Postby shootist » Sun Apr 23, 2017 4:15 pm

As a single man who's dietary habits might make strong men turn pale and women faint, I get by with unfussy meals. As some might be aware I am also a gadget junkie, so when I see an electric pressure cooker with lots of LEDs and buttons on a control panel it is inevitable that I buy one.

Yesterday it was 'christened' with assorted vegetables and some pieces of venison in what a charitable person might be persuaded to describe as a stew. It also had bay leaves. The process was simple and most interesting is that there was not a hissing to be heard during the entire cooking process, save upon completion when dumping the pressure. The result was acceptable, to me at least, and may even have been considered acceptable to any passing homeless person. The inner container is removable to be washed up (when the other half of the stew is finished, I always cook to feed the 5,000) and there is no other mess or irritation. I have a conventional pressure cooker but the bloody thing hisses all the way through cooking and fills half of my worktop dishwasher before I put anything else in, it's a PITA in some ways. By comparison this electric one, which cost about the same as a conventional hob top model was an absolute breeze. Just thought I'd mention it.
"I do not agree with what you say, but I'll defend to the death my right to be offended by it."
shootist

Re: Electric pressure cooker

Postby Hairyloon » Sun Apr 23, 2017 4:24 pm

I get on quite well with a slow cooker. Had the advantage that it doesn't matter too much if you forget and leave it cooking. :oops:
Though I suppose you have the same ability with a fancy electronic one.
Take me to your lizard...
Hairyloon

Location: From there to here and here to there... Funny things are everywhere.

Postby miner » Sun Apr 23, 2017 6:38 pm

We have the most basic slow cooker one could have: Off-High-Low and even that works fine. I think it came brand new for about $15 from a Garage Sale many moons ago.

We don't use it as much as we should, tending to forget to get the meat and veg prepared just after breakfast to be ready as our evening meal.

What we like (and my wife used to teach Home Economics) is how the flavours are all locked into the cooking process, just as with a Pressure Cooker. If it's beef that's in the cooker, you don't need to use the most expensive cuts and the less expensive cuts, cooked in an SC or a PC, often turn out more flavoursome.

Good luck with the new multi-faceted PC, Shootist, but don't lose the manual that came with it!
miner

Postby atticus » Sun Apr 23, 2017 7:14 pm

My grandmother in Hungary had an old brick built stove. Two cavities, each with a cast iron door. Each morning she would light a fire in the lower cavity, and put the meat and veg in a casserole in the upper one. 10 hours later, a fabulous supper.

The stove had been there since the house was built in the 1860s. My granny was born there, and her mother and grandmother before her. My cousin now lives in the house - she and her husband have modernised the house and the stove has gone.
atticus

Postby dls » Mon Apr 24, 2017 10:16 am

Being recovered veggie, slow cooked meat is not an attraction.

My favourite is the steamer for vegetables. Almost invariably it produces cooked food which does not feel beaten up.
David Swarbrick (Admin) dswarb@gmail.com - 0795 457 9992
dls
Site Admin

Postby shootist » Mon Apr 24, 2017 10:20 am

I do have a slow cooker which produces meals I like, but sometimes I don't want to wait. Pressure cookers do great things for some of the tougher vegetables, or so I have read. It is basically steaming under pressure.
"I do not agree with what you say, but I'll defend to the death my right to be offended by it."
shootist

Postby Hairyloon » Mon Apr 24, 2017 11:18 am

shootist wrote:I do have a slow cooker which produces meals I like, but sometimes I don't want to wait...

They are no good at all if you want anything soon, but they're grand if you set the going before work. They're not bad if you fall asleep waiting for them and don't mind stew for breakfast. :roll:
Take me to your lizard...
Hairyloon

Location: From there to here and here to there... Funny things are everywhere.

Return to The Robing Room