Discussing UK law. Links: swarb.co.uk | law-index | Acts | Members Image galleries

A(nother) christian party leader

A place to sit about and chat between more important things.

A(nother) christian party leader

Postby dls » Thu Apr 20, 2017 10:20 am

Tim Farron: I do not think being gay is a sin

But the question is still not the one that needs to be answered. Does he think gay sex is a sin?
David Swarbrick (Admin) dswarb@gmail.com - 0795 457 9992
dls
Site Admin

Re: A(nother) christian party leader

Postby atticus » Thu Apr 20, 2017 10:33 am

FFS, dls.

Oh I do love a selective quotation. You have been quite open as to your blinkers about the Lib Dems. Read his words, for a change.

Why not quote the full thing?

Actually, why not read the full thing?
atticus

Postby Hairyloon » Thu Apr 20, 2017 10:39 am

dls wrote:But the question is still not the one that needs to be answered. Does he think gay sex is a sin?

Why does the question need to be answered?
He has demonstrated better than most that he can properly separate his personal beliefs from his duties.

Perhaps also ask yourself why he did not take the easy route and simply say no? It matters not if it is true: lies are expected and accepted of politicians now.
Take me to your lizard...
Hairyloon

Location: From there to here and here to there... Funny things are everywhere.

Postby atticus » Thu Apr 20, 2017 10:40 am

the Grauniad wrote:Asked whether he felt he was being pressed on the issue because of his Christianity, he said:: "It may be, I don't get to choose the questions people ask me. All I can do is be absolutely open about my belief in the fundamental equality of every human being, my passionate belief in fighting for equality where there isn't equality."

Describing himself as “a liberal to my fingertips”, Farron said his defining cause in life was “celebrating people’s right to be who they are, to love who they love, to marry who they marry”.

He said equal marriage legislation was progress but there was further work to be done. “It doesn’t include full equal marriage for people who are transgender and our fight for rights and freedom will continue,” he said.

“We should never be complacent about freedoms that have been hard fought for LGBT people, and for other minorities too, including religious minorities, protecting people’s rights to be who they are.”
atticus

Postby shootist » Thu Apr 20, 2017 4:29 pm

atticus wrote:
the Grauniad wrote:Asked whether he felt he was being pressed on the issue because of his Christianity, he said:: "It may be, I don't get to choose the questions people ask me. All I can do is be absolutely open about my belief in the fundamental equality of every human being, my passionate belief in fighting for equality where there isn't equality."

Describing himself as “a liberal to my fingertips”, Farron said his defining cause in life was “celebrating people’s right to be who they are, to love who they love, to marry who they marry”.

He said equal marriage legislation was progress but there was further work to be done. “It doesn’t include full equal marriage for people who are transgender and our fight for rights and freedom will continue,” he said.

“We should never be complacent about freedoms that have been hard fought for LGBT people, and for other minorities too, including religious minorities, protecting people’s rights to be who they are.”

But does he think it's a sin?
"I do not agree with what you say, but I'll defend to the death my right to be offended by it."
shootist

Postby atticus » Thu Apr 20, 2017 4:36 pm

Et tu, shoote?
atticus

Postby shootist » Thu Apr 20, 2017 4:36 pm

If he does think it's a sin then at least he is unlikely to want the sinner throwing from the top of a tall place, or being stoned to death, or beheaded.

In any event, I think that better qualified theologians than I have decided that homosexuality is not a sin unless you actually do it.

I am reminded of the early days of the Quaker church where, so I was told by one who should know, that at one time a member of that church was not permitted to have sex with his wife on a Sunday. One man appealed to the highest authority in that church that as a travelling salesman he was only at home on a Sunday and if he was to beget children in accordance with his marriage vows he had to have sex on a Sunday and could he therefore be excused for that sin? After much debate and consideration the reply came back that he could, but only if he didn't enjoy it.
"I do not agree with what you say, but I'll defend to the death my right to be offended by it."
shootist

Postby shootist » Thu Apr 20, 2017 4:39 pm

atticus wrote:Et tu, shoote?

You are a wordsmith of great ability (when you choose to be). Tell me where he has declared whether or not he believes homosexuality is a sin, in that passage (No pun intended) (Cue Stoaty)
shootist

Postby miner » Thu Apr 20, 2017 4:50 pm

Who cares what Tim Farron thinks, says, or does?
miner

Postby Smouldering Stoat » Thu Apr 20, 2017 4:55 pm

Well, everyone who's commented here, for starters. Why not do another survey of your friends in this country?
Smouldering Stoat

Next

Return to The Robing Room