Discussing UK law. Links: swarb.co.uk | law-index | Acts | Members Image galleries

Police stations should annex with chemists

A place to sit about and chat between more important things.

Police stations should annex with chemists

Postby Spankymonkey » Wed Apr 05, 2017 3:03 pm

That way, whenever you go in to buy some behind the counter decongestant like I just did, the police can get the chemists to do all of their interrogation for them. Which they are very good at supposedly. Then of course, the moment you fail to give an answer to the satisfaction of the chemist, the police can leap on you and drag you in for conspiracy to set up a meth lab or whatever it is they assume you want to do with this medicine. Because taking it to do the thing it says on the box, clearly doesn't even enter their minds.

Why don't the just stack crack or methamphetamine behind them? They're not going to be selling it to anyone anyway and they could also dispense with all the needless packaging and manufacturing. That way their failings toward the sick can somehow be made up by saving the environment.

It would probably be easier to procure medicine in a backstreet alleyway at 2am, then from a high street chemists.
Spankymonkey
 
Posts: 317
Joined: Mon Feb 15, 2016 8:42 am

Re: Police stations should annex with chemists

Postby atticus » Wed Apr 05, 2017 4:12 pm

I dare say that something has occurred to provoke this.
User avatar
atticus
 
Posts: 18642
Joined: Sun Nov 11, 2012 2:27 pm
Location: E&W

Re: Police stations should annex with chemists

Postby shootist » Wed Apr 05, 2017 4:40 pm

I once got the third degree from a chemist in a well known supermarket when I wanted to buy some Fishermans Friends (aniseed). He was being a right jobsworth on it and I ended up walking off.
"I do not agree with what you say, but I'll defend to the death my right to be offended by it."
User avatar
shootist
 
Posts: 3169
Joined: Sat Aug 10, 2013 9:40 pm

Re: Police stations should annex with chemists

Postby Spankymonkey » Wed Apr 05, 2017 8:09 pm

atticus wrote:I dare say that something has occurred to provoke this.


I know that you are the master of Devil's Advocacy, but as usual Atticus you give the impression that you haven't read all of the post, something you seem to do on a regular basis, at least to me anyway.

spankymonkey wrote:That way, whenever you go in to buy some behind the counter decongestant like I just did


Not trying to hide my crimes, garner sympathy or ask for advice, just thought I'd toss it in there.

shootist wrote:I once got the third degree from a chemist in a well known supermarket when I wanted to buy some Fishermans Friends (aniseed). He was being a right jobsworth on it and I ended up walking off.


Did you not get the ubiquitous disclaimer of "they make us ask these things."
Spankymonkey
 
Posts: 317
Joined: Mon Feb 15, 2016 8:42 am

Re: Police stations should annex with chemists

Postby shootist » Wed Apr 05, 2017 10:18 pm

Spankymonkey wrote:Did you not get the ubiquitous disclaimer of "they make us ask these things."


No. If I had, they would have had my usual response (when I'm feeling fed up)

"You mean like...

1. Are you now, or have you ever been, a member of the Communist party?

2. Is either of your parents or grandparents Jewish?"
"I do not agree with what you say, but I'll defend to the death my right to be offended by it."
User avatar
shootist
 
Posts: 3169
Joined: Sat Aug 10, 2013 9:40 pm

Re: Police stations should annex with chemists

Postby Spankymonkey » Thu Apr 06, 2017 10:46 pm

When I asked why the chemist would not sell me this product, she refused to answer and told me to go to the doctor and get a prescription. That wasn't an answer, just a rebuff. This bothered me as it made me feel as if I was being suspected of having a nefarious purpose for purchasing them. Clearly the chemist had a reason she would not sell them to me and I felt I was entitled to know what that reason was. That left me thinking perhaps she had judged me on the way I looked, or my age, or my sex... I just couldn't work it out.

My girlfriend went into the same chemists today and requested the same decongestant. She was sold it with a minimum of fuss and few questions.

Now that make me feel as if I have been discriminated against. I don't feel like going back to the chemist and having it out with them as it's clear they prefer evasion rather than explanation. Either way, I still feel that I am entitled to a proper explanation as to why they would not sell it to me. If the chemists cannot give a rational and clear explanation as to why they will not sell these things, then they are leaving themselves open to people reaching possibly wrong conclusions and acting upon it.

The fact is they are clearly selling this product to some people, or they would not have them on the shelves? Who are they selling them to and on what grounds I wonder?
Spankymonkey
 
Posts: 317
Joined: Mon Feb 15, 2016 8:42 am

Re: Police stations should annex with chemists

Postby Smouldering Stoat » Fri Apr 07, 2017 5:09 am

Perhaps you went into the chemist with the same attitude that you have here.
Smouldering Stoat
 
Posts: 6113
Joined: Thu Nov 01, 2012 6:31 pm
Location: Near the Creek.

Re: Police stations should annex with chemists

Postby Voldemort » Fri Apr 07, 2017 9:16 am

The pharmacist probably wasn’t suspecting you of committing some kind of crime, rather that most decongestants interact with quite a large number of drugs - especially in relation to things like cardiovascular disease, prostate issues, diabetes and certain eye conditions. Middle aged men are therefore quizzed more thoroughly because the potential implications of such an interaction could be quite serious over the medium term.

Perhaps you were asked if you’re taking any other medication or suffering from any medical conditions, and your answers to this may have resulted in refusal?
Voldemort
 
Posts: 293
Joined: Mon Dec 03, 2012 9:28 am

Re: Police stations should annex with chemists

Postby Spankymonkey » Sat Apr 08, 2017 12:50 am

Voldemort wrote:Middle aged men are therefore quizzed more thoroughly because the potential implications of such an interaction could be quite serious over the medium term.

That may be rational and could well have been her reasoning. Despite the fact that to arbitrarily enforce that upon all middle aged men would potentially clash with anti discrimination laws. Nevertheless I was entitled to an explanation, even if it had been the one you propose Voldemort. Instead I found her evasion to be just downright rude.
Spankymonkey
 
Posts: 317
Joined: Mon Feb 15, 2016 8:42 am

Re: Police stations should annex with chemists

Postby atticus » Sat Apr 08, 2017 6:58 am

Are you certain that your attitude did not come across in the same way to the pharmacist?
User avatar
atticus
 
Posts: 18642
Joined: Sun Nov 11, 2012 2:27 pm
Location: E&W

Next

Return to The Robing Room

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest