Discussing UK law. Links: swarb.co.uk | law-index | Acts | Members Image galleries

When your hard drive dies

A place to sit about and chat between more important things.

Re: When your hard drive dies

Postby diy » Sat Mar 25, 2017 7:37 am

RAID 0 gives you a performance benefit nothing more. With a typical cheap desktop controller and typical data r/w scenario, I'd question if your controller and processor was fast enough to outperform a decent HDD anyway. Ultimately the limiting factor will be the ingest speed of the CPU. I sell machines with storage cells that can push 60Gbit p/s to the compute nodes, but even with 44 cores, they can't ingest at that rate.

The key in all computer systems design is to have no single point of failure. It doesn't matter if you use flash, disk or even tape, as long as you have multiple copies on multiple drives ideally in multiple places you will not suffer from the failure.

SSD fail due to intensive write activities. Without getting geeky they basically trip over themselves and write stuff in the wrong place or wrong order.
My suggestions are not legal advice
diy

Postby shootist » Sun Mar 26, 2017 9:55 pm

Well, for reasons I can't quite understand, I now have a computer that will boot into Windows 10, Windows 7 or OSX Mavericks. Why? Buggered if I know. I might just try and add a Linux distro as well.
"I do not agree with what you say, but I'll defend to the death my right to be offended by it."
shootist

Postby atticus » Mon Mar 27, 2017 1:05 pm

No, I don't understand that either.
atticus

Postby diy » Tue Mar 28, 2017 11:22 am

I assume with the Hackintosh a license is required for the Mac OS? Personally can't see the point given how good he open source linux distributions are. Or is the benefit so that you can run Mac software?
My suggestions are not legal advice
diy

Postby shootist » Tue Mar 28, 2017 12:08 pm

The benefit is largely in the learning process of installing odds and sods and the sheer intellectual pleasure of beating the machine. I agree that most Linux distributions are excellent. I also happen to hate Mackintosh stuff with a vengeance. They are bigger crooks than Microsoft so there is a certain intellectual pleasure in proving that. I have a collection of old Macs, including the ones with the 9" mono screen that are cute, but next to useless in practical terms. In any event, the machine, a creaky (by today's standards) otherwise standard type of PC, can now run Windows 10 and 7, OSX Mavericks and Yosemite (a tad slow) and Ubuntu. All running directly and not under a virtual machine, albeit some hacking of the OS has been done elsewhere.
"I do not agree with what you say, but I'll defend to the death my right to be offended by it."
shootist

Previous

Return to The Robing Room