Discussing UK law. Links: swarb.co.uk | law-index | Acts | Members Image galleries

65 Years as Monarch

A place to sit about and chat between more important things.

65 Years as Monarch

Postby miner » Mon Feb 06, 2017 3:05 pm

I see that the Queen has today reached her Sapphire Jubilee, having reigned for 65 years today and is the longest-reigning British Monarch.

She has done - and continues to do - a damned good job.

She deserves our thanks.
miner

Re: 65 Years as Monarch

Postby Mrhilter » Mon Feb 06, 2017 5:33 pm

[Asinine and vapid post deleted by Moderator].
Mrhilter

Postby Voldemort » Tue Feb 07, 2017 10:41 am

The acceptance by royalists of the privilege by birth right - while in the same breath arguing for a fairer society based on meritocracy, never ceases to amaze me.
Voldemort

Postby Hairyloon » Tue Feb 07, 2017 11:38 am

Voldemort wrote:The acceptance by royalists of the privilege by birth right - while in the same breath arguing for a fairer society based on meritocracy, never ceases to amaze me.

The way I figure it is that she's more useful as an international diplomat that any PM I am aware of, she's better value than most professional footballers and she's at least as entertaining as Eastenders.
Constitutionally she is mostly harmless and might potentially provide a last ditch safety net should the government ever decide to override the will of the people...
Take me to your lizard...
Hairyloon

Location: From there to here and here to there... Funny things are everywhere.

Postby dls » Tue Feb 07, 2017 12:07 pm

She deserves our congratulations, but the job in essence is to smile when insulted, and to nod when asked to agree without ever expressing an opinion publicly. Many others might have failed. For this she has led a life of considerable comfort and privilege.

HL is right that her constitutional position is as a theoretical back-stop when all else has failed. However when all else has already failed, I am not convinced that her presence would make much difference. She is a bit like Trident - you can never quite know what difference it/she is really making until you discover that it has been none.
David Swarbrick (Admin) dswarb@gmail.com - 0795 457 9992
dls
Site Admin

Postby Hairyloon » Tue Feb 07, 2017 12:49 pm

dls wrote:She is a bit like Trident - you can never quite know what difference it/she is really making until you discover that it has been none.

Hopefully we can be a bit more certain to keep Donald's hands off the button...
Hairyloon

Postby miner » Tue Feb 07, 2017 2:54 pm

Hairyloon wrote:The way I figure it is that she's more useful as an international diplomat that any PM I am aware of, she's better value than most professional footballers and she's at least as entertaining as Eastenders.
Constitutionally she is mostly harmless and might potentially provide a last ditch safety net should the government ever decide to override the will of the people...

I agree with you, Hairy. Anything, however, would be more entertaining than Eastenders.
miner

Postby Hairyloon » Tue Feb 07, 2017 2:58 pm

miner wrote:Anything, however, would be more entertaining than Eastenders.

A lot of people appear to like it. I assume they find it entertaining.
Hairyloon

Postby diy » Tue Feb 07, 2017 3:06 pm

I like the queen, even though I see the monarchy an outdated tradition. Do I think she adds value? yes. Do I think she is good value? I'm not so sure.

I've no desire to see Chucky take over and think he's very lacking. I forecast he will be less popular as Monarch than Donald Trump will be as US President.
My suggestions are not legal advice
diy

Postby Hairyloon » Tue Feb 07, 2017 3:13 pm

diy wrote:I've no desire to see Chucky take over and think he's very lacking. I forecast he will be less popular as Monarch than Donald Trump will be as US President.

I think he has had a bad press, at least partly because the press have been allowed to give him bad press. They would have landed troubles if they'd dug dirt on Her Majesty as hard as they do on HRH.
Hairyloon

Return to The Robing Room