Discussing UK law. Links: swarb.co.uk | law-index | Acts | Members Image galleries

Another duff survey

A place to sit about and chat between more important things.

Re: Another duff survey

Postby Smouldering Stoat » Wed Jan 11, 2017 8:47 pm

All I can find are the news reports, too. If the survey was carried out by a British Polling Council member the full crosstabs ought to be available, but I can't find them. The news reports say it was a survey of 2,000 members of their community, which isn't a bad sample size for a survey of this kind, though if the sample is unrepresentative it doesn't matter how big it is.
Smouldering Stoat

Postby atticus » Wed Jan 11, 2017 8:53 pm

I don't think it a valid criticism of a survey about women experiencing harrassment to say that it does not deal with men's experience.
atticus

Postby Smouldering Stoat » Wed Jan 11, 2017 9:26 pm

Well, yes: a survey of women's experiences that also surveyed men would obviously be unrepresentative. The survey also failed to survey women who weren't running how often they felt harassed, and if one were running a proper scientific survey then you probably would, in order to establish a baseline level. I think what's important, however, is how accurate a survey is in its own terms. If you want to know what women's experiences are, then ask women. Women's participation in sport is an issue, and if you want to increase it then you need to ask them about their experiences - men's experiences are neither here nor there. If women feel harassed when they're running, and you want to encourage more women to run, then I submit that telling them that men also feel harassed isn't going to deal with the issue. If anything, the methodology might be understating levels of harassment, because women who've suffered it are more likely to have given it up and won't be available to be surveyed.
Smouldering Stoat

Postby Smouldering Stoat » Wed Jan 11, 2017 9:32 pm

shootist wrote:... I know at least one very attractive woman who jogged and enjoyed the comments. Also, one might wonder which ones were the ugly ones, and did the harassment differ?

The 1970s called, they want their attitudes back.

Another mechanism for creating statutory victims.

I don't see either a statute, nor a mechanism mentioned, but women that have been harassed are indeed victims of harassment. I'm not sure why that should be problematic.
Smouldering Stoat

Postby dls » Thu Jan 12, 2017 7:57 am

If it is presented clearly as the experience of women with no implication that the experience is particular to women, then OK. That was no how it came across to me. That, I suppose, may be the fault of the BBC journalists - or me.
David Swarbrick (Admin) dswarb@gmail.com - 0795 457 9992
dls
Site Admin

Postby Hairyloon » Sat Jan 14, 2017 8:10 pm

dls wrote:If it is presented clearly as the experience of women with no implication that the experience is particular to women, then OK. That was no how it came across to me. That, I suppose, may be the fault of the BBC journalists - or me.

I inferred from it a suggestion that a significant amount of the harassment was sexual in nature, and from harassment, there is always a concern that it may develop to assault...
Not that men don't have trouble with sexual harassment or assault, but I think it is much less of a problem.
Take me to your lizard...
Hairyloon

Location: From there to here and here to there... Funny things are everywhere.

Postby dls » Sun Jan 15, 2017 10:53 am

The problem is that they rely upon you to extend the value of the survey by making just such unjustified inferences. Without your inference the survey has very little value.
David Swarbrick (Admin) dswarb@gmail.com - 0795 457 9992
dls
Site Admin

Postby Boo » Sun Jan 15, 2017 1:08 pm

dls wrote:I did try the EA site. All I had was the BBC report

It did cross my mind whether you'd been watching Loose Women! ;)

I wonder if the BBC report followed this article http://www.runnersworld.com/running-while-female#survey
God - "I have made Mankind!"
Angels - "You screwed up a perfectly good monkey is what you did. Look at it. It's got anxiety!"
Boo

Postby Hairyloon » Sun Jan 15, 2017 2:01 pm

dls wrote:The problem is that they rely upon you to extend the value of the survey by making just such unjustified inferences...

If they are relying on it, and therefore designing it to invoke such inference then that inference is not unjustified, only inaccurate.
Though you may note that I inferred only the suggestion, and as such, I think the inference retains accuracy.
Take me to your lizard...
Hairyloon

Location: From there to here and here to there... Funny things are everywhere.

Postby Spankymonkey » Sun Jan 15, 2017 8:37 pm

Men don't matter David. Get with the political narrative.
Spankymonkey

PreviousNext

Return to The Robing Room