Discussing UK law. Links: swarb.co.uk | law-index | Acts | Members Image galleries

Facebook

A place to sit about and chat between more important things.

Re: Facebook

Postby Smouldering Stoat » Sun Jan 08, 2017 4:07 pm

Mrhilter wrote:You don't need an account to view much of Facebook. Everybody knows that. [ditto]

True, but you do need one to view all of it. If you don't log in, you will see only that information which people have chosen not to make private. This will give you a false impression as to what has been made public: you're cherry-picking data.
Smouldering Stoat

Postby Smouldering Stoat » Sun Jan 08, 2017 4:08 pm

3.14 wrote:
b1969 wrote:
3.14 wrote:I don't spend money on any products as a result of advertisement anyway

You're a very special and unusual person if that's really the case.
No. It's just that I only buy things that I need. I don't buy 'toys' or status symbols.

Yep, that's what the advertisers want you to believe...
Smouldering Stoat

Postby Hairyloon » Sun Jan 08, 2017 4:14 pm

3.14 wrote:
b1969 wrote:
3.14 wrote:I don't spend money on any products as a result of advertisement anyway

No. It's just that I only buy things that I need. I don't buy 'toys' or status symbols.

What do you do if Facebook throws up an advert for something you need? Do you ignore it as a point of principle?
Take me to your lizard...
Hairyloon

Location: From there to here and here to there... Funny things are everywhere.

Postby 3.14 » Sun Jan 08, 2017 4:22 pm

Hairyloon wrote:
3.14 wrote:
b1969 wrote:

What do you do if Facebook throws up an advert for something you need? Do you ignore it as a point of principle?

Like what? Things I need include food, water and other liquids, petrol for my car none of which facebook advertises. In any case, I don't see adverts on the internet because I use a variety of adblockers. Anything I really need, I research on the internet, I go into the store and check it out in person, making sure that it is exactly what I think it is before buying it at the best price, usually on the internet.
Hide in the noise. #hackerwisdom

Postby atticus » Sun Jan 08, 2017 4:54 pm

3.14: you appear to be the exception rather than the rule. There are plenty of people who do not do what you do, and they are the means by which Facebook makes its money.
atticus

Postby 3.14 » Sun Jan 08, 2017 5:45 pm

I don't begrudge facebook's efforts to make money. In fact, I admire facebook's evolution. I wonder if they can stay on the wavefront of social media (probably not for much longer) and then we will move on to a different platform.
Hide in the noise. #hackerwisdom

Postby Spankymonkey » Sun Jan 08, 2017 6:43 pm

Stoat, as Facebook has entered the public consciousness and popular culture, I think my views upon it can be drawn from other sources than just the 'data' provided by it's users on their individual pages. That's if you'd refer to much of the self-obsessed commentary that I have witnessed as 'data'.
Spankymonkey

Postby Smouldering Stoat » Sun Jan 08, 2017 6:53 pm

As you wish.
Smouldering Stoat

Postby tph » Sun Jan 08, 2017 8:02 pm

The thing to be aware of with Facebook is that it uses an algorithm to sort the information you see and the information it generates to support what you post or like. For some people this is reassuring however the downside is that you never see anything which challenges your view of the world. It has been claimed that this is partially to blame for the recent political divisions in both the UK and USA.
tph

Postby Hairyloon » Sun Jan 08, 2017 9:14 pm

tph wrote:The thing to be aware of with Facebook is that it uses an algorithm to sort the information you see and the information it generates to support what you post or like. For some people this is reassuring however the downside is that you never see anything which challenges your view of the world. It has been claimed that this is partially to blame for the recent political divisions in both the UK and USA.

Those algorithms should work just as well the other way: perhaps we should ask them to install a setting that has it show you the things that you need to get upset about?
Take me to your lizard...
Hairyloon

Location: From there to here and here to there... Funny things are everywhere.

PreviousNext

Return to The Robing Room