Discussing UK law. Links: swarb.co.uk | law-index | Acts | Members Image galleries

Book Club

A place to sit about and chat between more important things.

Re: Book Club

Postby shootist » Sun Nov 27, 2016 7:12 pm

atticus wrote:Read the novel, then.

Did you spot the significance of the title?

Hmmmm. "Atonement":- the action of making amends for a wrong or injury.

Exactly what 'amends' did she make? A written and published confession of her lies to at least clear the man's name would be some sort of atonement. Writing a fictional story amounts to nothing other than her playing pretend in her own mind. Nothing more than hurting someone terribly and then pretending that it all turned out nice in the end.

Unless the film is so completely different from the novel that it is for all practical purposes a different story...

The usual concept of a 'book club' type of thing is to do a little more than name a book you are reading and then suggest that others read it. Some sort of discussion about the content, plot, perceived faults or highlights, can often be very useful when there are so many books around. Another common element is naming books that are purported to have been read and heaping praise upon them when it is merely a pretence of intellectual capacity. But that would never happen here.
"I do not agree with what you say, but I'll defend to the death my right to be offended by it."
shootist

Postby dls » Sun Nov 27, 2016 7:24 pm

We are not a book club.

It is inevitable that the 'group' actually agrees to read something in common, or we make stabs in the dark. Te chances of us having a common reading list are really quite limited.
David Swarbrick (Admin) dswarb@gmail.com - 0795 457 9992
dls
Site Admin

Postby atticus » Sun Nov 27, 2016 7:27 pm

I have not seen the film. However, films of books usually cut large parts out, while trying to keep the essence of the story.

The book is written in three parts - 1936, 1940 and a more modern date. A part of the 1940 section and all the third section are about atonement for the guilt that the younger girl has felt all her life for the events of that night in 1936.

But, to make this more of a book club, shooter can come back and let us know what he thinks in a couple of weeks time, after he has read the novel.
atticus

Postby 3.14 » Sun Nov 27, 2016 8:27 pm

Maybe we should start with a smaller book. How about Raiders of the Seventh Planet by Eric M. Heideman & Roy C. Booth
Hide in the noise. #hackerwisdom

Postby dls » Mon Nov 28, 2016 7:08 am

The only thing I remember after watching Atonement was that it reminded me of the film Hours in that it went on for hours and hours and hours
dls
Site Admin

Postby dnm » Thu Dec 01, 2016 9:28 am

I would like to thank Atticus and Shooter for their discussion about the work Atonement.

As a result of this, I bought the book and am currently reading it. I do not normally read such works, since my background is very mathematical and my interests are not in fine works of literature. I was forced to read The Mayor of Casterbridge for my English Lit 'O' Level and hated it with a passion.

I found the first 85 pages of this book very, very hard work. I nearly gave up. However, suddenly the book springs to life and I think I actually now understand how important the scene setting in the early pages is. I've currently got to page 243 and am finding it very difficult to put the book down.

I'll post again when I've finished it. Thank you again for the recommendation.

Regards,

DNM
I remember the Hultquist equation...
dnm

Postby atticus » Thu Dec 01, 2016 9:46 am

Thank you. I had the same feelins about the initial scene setting.

Captain Corelli's Mandolin was similarly hard work to begin with, but fully repaid perseverance.
atticus

Postby shootist » Thu Dec 01, 2016 10:29 am

A book I might have read but for seeing trailers of the film where said captain was played by Nicholas Cage who is, IMO, one of the most terrible actors ever to hit the screen. His only talents are looking utterly miserable, and picking the worst film scripts available. I could now no more read that book than bite my own foot off and eat it. Hollywood has so much to answer for.
"I do not agree with what you say, but I'll defend to the death my right to be offended by it."
shootist

Postby atticus » Thu Dec 01, 2016 10:40 am

The film is a Hollywood bastardisation. You should not regard a trailer for the movie as an advertisement for the novel.

May we conclude that your only exposure to literature is through the movies?
atticus

Postby dls » Thu Dec 01, 2016 2:30 pm

I have copy of the BBC radio play if anyone is interested
dls
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to The Robing Room