Discussing UK law. Links: swarb.co.uk | law-index | Acts | Members Image galleries

A(nother) christian party leader

A place to sit about and chat between more important things.

Re: A(nother) christian party leader

Postby shootist » Fri Apr 21, 2017 7:57 am

Can we stop the bitch fights and get on with what could be an interesting debate please.

It seems entirely fine to ask a Christian MP his views on homosexuality and to push him for an answer but entirely unacceptable to ask a Muslim MP or mayor if he believes that homosexuality should be a capital offence, or thieves should have their hands cut off. On this generally more intelligent and enlightened forum it seems we can cheerfully discuss the former but the latter is fled from to the fading sounds of "La la la I'm not listening."
"I do not agree with what you say, but I'll defend to the death my right to be offended by it."
shootist

Postby Hairyloon » Fri Apr 21, 2017 9:31 am

shootist wrote:Can we stop the bitch fights and get on with what could be an interesting debate please...

We can probably do one or the other but not both. :(
Take me to your lizard...
Hairyloon

Location: From there to here and here to there... Funny things are everywhere.

Postby shootist » Sat Apr 22, 2017 1:41 pm

I'm a little uncertain as to whether I have pointed out the elephant in the room or mentioned that the King's new clothes are non existent.
"I do not agree with what you say, but I'll defend to the death my right to be offended by it."
shootist

Postby atticus » Tue Apr 25, 2017 10:25 pm

atticus

Postby shootist » Wed Apr 26, 2017 9:04 am

atticus wrote:Tim Farron: It's not a sin - http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-39703444

I'm not particularly concerned about Farron's opinions on the subject. I'm more concerned about why similarly placed public figures of a different religious persuasion seem to be most carefully not challenged about their views on similar subjects.
shootist

Postby atticus » Wed Apr 26, 2017 9:47 am

But this thread is about Mr Farron and his views!
atticus

Postby Hairyloon » Wed Apr 26, 2017 9:50 am

shootist wrote:I'm not particularly concerned about Farron's opinions on the subject. I'm more concerned about why similarly placed public figures of a different religious persuasion seem to be most carefully not challenged about their views on similar subjects.

They can question Farron without being accused of inciting racial hatred.
Take me to your lizard...
Hairyloon

Location: From there to here and here to there... Funny things are everywhere.

Postby dls » Wed Apr 26, 2017 10:08 am

Again, my point, badly put, was about the question.
The question he was avoiding having now been asked and answered (with dignity), I'm out.
David Swarbrick (Admin) dswarb@gmail.com - 0795 457 9992
dls
Site Admin

Postby shootist » Thu Apr 27, 2017 8:29 am

dls wrote:Again, my point, badly put, was about the question.
The question he was avoiding having now been asked and answered (with dignity), I'm out.

But why is it acceptable to ask a Christian about such matters, and to challenge any answer he gives that doesn't suit the questioner, when people of other religious persuasions who are in positions of public influence if asked such questions at all remain fairly unchallenged no matter what? It would seem that Christians are fair game.
shootist

Postby Voldemort » Thu Apr 27, 2017 9:57 am

shootist wrote:But why is it acceptable to ask a Christian about such matters, and to challenge any answer he gives that doesn't suit the questioner, when people of other religious persuasions who are in positions of public influence if asked such questions at all remain fairly unchallenged no matter what? It would seem that Christians are fair game.

Let’s not prevaricate on the issue – please provide examples of what’s upsetting you so much?

The two most senior people from that particular persuasion , Sajid Javid and Sadiq Khan have been regularly quizzed on their views – both are strong supporters of gay marriage and have repeatedly said that they do not consider it a “sin”.

Indeed the voting records of MP’s of all background are openly available, of the 139 members of parliament that voted against gay marriage, one was from that persuasion.

I'm sure they'll welcome any further cross-examination from you - all their contact details can be found online.
Voldemort

PreviousNext

Return to The Robing Room