Discussing UK law. Links: swarb.co.uk | law-index | Acts | Members Image galleries

Car given to sell

Issues arising from our actions on the roads - including Transport.

Car given to sell

Postby Dancer » Wed May 31, 2017 5:47 pm

Hello All,

Hope you can advise.

My partner gave his old car to a friend to sell (together with logbook). The friend told him the car has been scrapped. Logbook not returned. No money given for a car. We have email promising to transfer money but this did not happen. We have recently received letter advising the car is not insured. We do not know where the car is, it is not at the friends.

I am thinking my partner needs to go to the police and advise the vehicle have been stolen by this "friend'. He is reluctant.

We have no longer have a logbook so can not inform dvla of transfer taken place. I am very worried about insurance issue and possible parking charges etc. What is the best course of action we can take? (The friend foes not answer phone calls or emails)
Dancer

Re: Car given to sell

Postby Dancer » Wed May 31, 2017 6:33 pm

I have read the rules and understand now the forum operate no advise given rule.

Perhaps I could rephrase the question. Based on the information given can what happened be qualified as thetf?

Thank you
Dancer

Postby Smouldering Stoat » Wed May 31, 2017 7:23 pm

I very much doubt whether the Police will become involved. It's a civil matter between your partner and his friend: you asked him to sell your car, but he's kept the proceeds.

First, phone the DVLA and explain the situation. You won't be the first in your position. You may be able to sue your friend for the proceeds of sale, particularly as you've got that email. But be mindful that getting judgment is one thing, enforcing it is quite another.
Smouldering Stoat

Postby dls » Fri Jun 02, 2017 3:33 pm

We have no longer have a logbook so can not inform dvla of transfer taken place.

You can and should.
David Swarbrick (Admin) dswarb@gmail.com - 0795 457 9992
dls
Site Admin

Postby diy » Sun Jun 04, 2017 4:57 pm

https://www.gov.uk/sold-bought-vehicle

Is the reference number of the letter the vehicles reference number - you can use this to inform them who you transferred the car to.
My suggestions are not legal advice
diy

Return to Road Traffic Law