Discussing UK law. Links: swarb.co.uk | law-index | Acts | Members Image galleries

Vehicle tax cannot be transferred

Issues arising from our actions on the roads - including Transport.

Vehicle tax cannot be transferred

Postby diy » Sat Mar 12, 2016 9:38 am

I just completed the application for annual road tax online and I noticed the message : Vehicle tax cannot be transferred when you buy or sell a vehicle.

Is this new? Does it mean the remaining tax cannot be sold with the car?

Seems a bit mean and pointless
My suggestions are not legal advice
diy

Re: Vehicle tax cannot be transferred

Postby atticus » Sat Mar 12, 2016 10:00 am

I have just sold a car 20 minutes ago. I will receive a tax refund.

The system has been in operation over a year. I found out when we bought a car.
atticus

Postby diy » Sat Mar 12, 2016 10:15 am

I'm assuming its to reduce disposable driving.

and perhaps make a few quid on the rounding down of the refunds and rounding up of the new tax.
diy

Postby atticus » Sat Mar 12, 2016 10:19 am

What is this disposable driving? Is it a Bad Thing? Why? Should Top Gear be covering it?
atticus

Postby Hairyloon » Sat Mar 12, 2016 5:59 pm

atticus wrote:What is this disposable driving?

I'll take a guess at buying a knackered old car with a few weeks tax left in the window, and scrapping it when it expires.
Is it a Bad Thing? Why? Should Top Gear be covering it?

Of course it is a bad thing: it facilitates poor people having mobility...
I expect they argue that if you can buy a car with a tax disc, then the car looks legal without having to buy insurance. It is not a convincing argument.

They ought to have scrapped it long ago and put up road fuel tax to compensate. Some years ago a taxman told me it would take about a penny per gallon to make the same.
Take me to your lizard...
Hairyloon

Location: From there to here and here to there... Funny things are everywhere.

Postby diy » Mon Mar 14, 2016 7:45 am

If you have no driving license or insurance its quite hard to tax a car. In the days when road tax discs were required an untaxed car was easy to spot. Thus if you wanted to appear legit, you'd buy an old heap with as much tax on as you could and then dispose of it once the tax expired, never registering it etc and being free from all the obligations a normal registered keeper has. If you were rumbled and your car impounded - you abandoned it.

Its not the same as bangernomics - which is where you buy an old car and run it as long as it goes, seeing how little you can spend on it and how long it can go for. I ran an old volvo a a "pick-up truck" that way for 3 years, bought it with a full volvo history and 170k miles on and scrapped it 3 years later with almost 250k on. Other than a bit of oil ( a lot of oil), some tyres, I had 80,000 miles for £1,450 - I love bangernomics, I'm currently running a 15 year old merc the same way. Its easier when you have other cars to be honest.
diy

Return to Road Traffic Law