Discussing UK law. Links: swarb.co.uk | law-index | Acts | Members Image galleries

100mph+ club

Issues arising from our actions on the roads - including Transport.

Re: 100mph+ club

Postby atticus » Thu Feb 25, 2016 1:45 pm

My greater concern was about liability to third parties; the law requires insurance in respect of liability to third parties. These might include passengers in the vehicle being driven at excessive speed.
atticus

Postby shootist » Thu Feb 25, 2016 4:16 pm

dls wrote:
If you crashed the car at a speed above the limit with comprehensive cover could the insurance company pay out for the damage to a third party but refuse to cover the cost of the damage to your car because you were over the speed limit?

That argument might in any event be available to an insurance company now.

An insurance policy covers you against your own recklessness, but I am not sure that it extends to acts of recklessness.

Purely in terms of speeding it would be damned near impossible, IMO, to prove reckless driving solely upon speed alone. If it was possible then any police officer who has lawfully driven at high speed, say 140mph, would have to risk prosecution for reckless driving.
"I do not agree with what you say, but I'll defend to the death my right to be offended by it."
shootist

Postby atticus » Thu Feb 25, 2016 5:51 pm

Not really. Parliament could create a statutory exception for trained police, ambulance, fire engine etc drivers who have been trained, whose training us up to date, and who are driving in a situation where it is reasonably necessary to drive at a speed in excess of speed limits.

But the idea of making speeding drivers uninsured is dangerous.
atticus

Postby diy » Thu Feb 25, 2016 6:00 pm

If the in car driving apps were genuinely about measuring driver safety rather than collecting valuable marketing data, they'd have a pay as you speed model.

But there seems to be a view that as speed limits have dropped, cars have got safer and therefore tickets are just part of the cost of driving.
My suggestions are not legal advice
diy

Postby dls » Thu Feb 25, 2016 6:28 pm

If the system honestly believed that anything over 70mph was dangerous, why build nearly all cars designed to ensure a capacity to go much much faster.
David Swarbrick (Admin) dswarb@gmail.com - 0795 457 9992
dls
Site Admin

Postby diy » Thu Feb 25, 2016 8:39 pm

European harmonisation :D

I must admit 130kph seems perfectly safe on dry roads. I like the wet and dry limits they have in France, though oddly my bus has more speed restrictions on motorways than A roads.
My suggestions are not legal advice
diy

Previous

Return to Road Traffic Law