Discussing UK law. Links: swarb.co.uk | law-index | Acts | Members Image galleries

Engagement Ring return with PIN

A more welcoming forum
Forum rules
On topic, friendly, and real.

Engagement Ring return with PIN

Postby UnluckyGuy79 » Mon Jan 01, 2018 11:52 am

I got engaged to a woman in August when I proposed and she accepted.

She stopped communication with me so I sent her three emails. She had arranged to meet me near hers and one was asking if she still wanted to meet. The next was asking if she wanted me to visit her or talk to her on other phone numbers I had. The last was work related regarding an invoice for a service she had purchased through me for work and has not been paid. The last one also stated it would be the last e-mailed I sent to her.

Shortly after this I had a visit from police and have been given a pin for harassment issued against me to not contact her, her friends or family. I will be contacting police with my version of events and the three emails to be added to the file, as if this shows up on my enhanced CRB/DBS I could loose all my clients for my work. The police had incorrectly informed me this would not show up on my CRB/DBS when they visited so I am also going to complain about this. She had also told the police that she had been lying to me.

I believe the reason she stopped contacting and acted like this is that I believe she is still married and living with her husband she had told me she had divorced from.

I asked police that I would like the engagement ring back, But have heard nothing more from them.

I still have the ring diamond certificates and messages from her regarding the ring, engagement and we had also just started to talk about arranging the marriage.

Would it be possible for me to start a small court claim for the value of the ring?
UnluckyGuy79

Re: Engagement Ring return with PIN

Postby atticus » Mon Jan 01, 2018 12:46 pm

There is a statute that says the engagement ring belongs to the person to whom it is given. However, if the woman was married and had no intention of being able to marry you, you may have a way around that.
atticus

Postby atticus » Mon Jan 01, 2018 12:52 pm

atticus

Postby donarebun » Mon Jan 01, 2018 7:52 pm

I have seen a case where the judge returned to ring because receiver was fraudulent

In that case, the receiver had a history of collecting expensive engagement ring from unsuspecting men.

If she is still married that would mean fraud and/or deception.

I don't think the courts would allow someone to profit from deception.

Try and get your CRB/DBS sorted asap
donarebun

Postby dls » Mon Jan 01, 2018 10:02 pm

Concentrate on then harassment notice.
David Swarbrick (Admin) dswarb@gmail.com - 0795 457 9992
dls
Site Admin

Postby UnluckyGuy79 » Tue Jan 02, 2018 2:08 am

Thank you for your help. From what I have read it is very rare for a harassment PIN notice to be removed, so I am also requesting my version of events are added to the file and also requesting it be fully investigated or removed from police records. I have also read it is very easy for someone to obtain a harassment PIN notice against someone as the side of the complaining party is listened to, without the defending party having an opportunity to defend themselves before it is issued.

I have read that enhanced DBS (CRB) checks will show this up in the other information section and others who have said it is for the police to decide if this shows up, depending on if the case is relevant to the job being applied for. My main issue is the police told me it would not show up on a CRB (DBS) check and this was false information.

The police also told me she had admitted to them that she had lied to me, but would tell me what they had told her, so it is possible she may have also been untruthful in what she told them and I have no way of knowing this. I would have thought this would be reason enough to stop this from being issued, and as she did not ask me to stop contacting her, I only sent three polite E-Mails which were clearly not intended to cause alarm or distress.

Would the small claims court be the correct legal route to claim the value of the engagement ring back or is there a different legal route I have to take for this?
UnluckyGuy79

Postby atticus » Tue Jan 02, 2018 7:07 am

You make a county court claim. If it is contested, then assuming the value of the ring is less than £10,000, it is likely the claim will be allocated to the Small Claims Track.
atticus

Return to First Time Questions