Discussing UK law. Links: swarb.co.uk | law-index | Acts | Members Image galleries

Bouncer took ID

A more welcoming forum
Forum rules
On topic, friendly, and real.

Re: Bouncer took ID

Postby Smouldering Stoat » Sat Mar 04, 2017 1:25 pm

Yes, page 27 contains the questions which the bouncer asked to confirm whether the OP was using his own ID or someone else's, and which he was unable to answer.
Smouldering Stoat

Postby tph » Sat Mar 04, 2017 1:38 pm

It would also appear that a lot of the guidance has not been followed. It is quite clear in the guidance that the bouncer does not have the legal power to seize the ID.

The exact details of what happened at the time would be key. The other critical point is that the guidance suggests that the documents should not be retained for longer than 72 hours before being handed over to the police.
tph

Postby Spankymonkey » Sat Mar 04, 2017 2:12 pm

Smouldering Stoat wrote:Yes, page 27 contains the questions which the bouncer asked to confirm whether the OP was using his own ID or someone else's, and which he was unable to answer.

Yes, and page 26 confirms that "only certain categories of person (for example, a police constable) have legal powers to seize false ID". Let alone seize a genuine ID.

And just because the OP failed to answer those questions does not automatically give rise to a reasonable suspicion that the ID is a fake. The OP gave the reasons they failed to answer the question, and I see no reason to doubt them.
Spankymonkey

Postby 3.14 » Sat Mar 04, 2017 3:13 pm

tph wrote:The lady in question has suggested that she thought she was entitled to keep the money on the basis of finders keepers.
hahahahahahah
Hide in the noise. #hackerwisdom

Postby Smouldering Stoat » Sat Mar 04, 2017 3:29 pm

Nevertheless, the OP was unable to answer the kinds of questions which bouncers have been suggested to ask, to establish whether the ID is being used by the correct person. I am sure people come out with all kinds of excuses as to why they can't answer them. In fact, the OP has placed himself in precisely the kind of situation where he should be expected to surrender his ID.

Indeed the guidance does make it clear the bouncers have no specific power to seize ID, but it also says that if a person suspected of using it refuses to surrender it, the Police should be summoned. It's not clear what was said to the OP when his ID was taken from him, but given that the bouncer asked exactly the questions which are suggested in that guidance, there's reason to suppose he followed the rest of it. Taking false ID out of circulation is a common theme throughout that document. In fact, it goes into quite a lot of detail about what should happen to these documents which bouncers can't seize. And indeed it does say that it's good practice to hold onto documents for not more than 72 hours before handing them over, but it also says that the Police should make arrangements for collection, who should then only return it when requested by the rightful keeper.

Is the OP's problem not that his case is indistinguishable from someone who tried to use someone else's passport, got caught and now can't get it back?
Smouldering Stoat

Postby shootist » Sat Mar 04, 2017 8:14 pm

Smouldering Stoat wrote:Is the OP's problem not that his case is indistinguishable from someone who tried to use someone else's passport, got caught and now can't get it back?

Given the lack of any practical response from the OP it sounds very much like it. If some bouncer had seized my passport I would be outside doing the dance of the flaming arseholes until I got it back. With due respect to the members of this forum there would be very many other routes to go down to recover a passport before I ended up here.
"I do not agree with what you say, but I'll defend to the death my right to be offended by it."
shootist

Postby tph » Sat Mar 04, 2017 10:45 pm

Admittedly it's a small point. But I don't think we should be referring to the OP as he.
tph

Postby atticus » Sun Mar 05, 2017 8:56 am

Could shooter please post on YouTube a video of him doing that dance? I don't think they do it on Strictly.
atticus

Postby shootist » Sun Mar 05, 2017 7:37 pm

atticus wrote:Could shooter please post on YouTube a video of him doing that dance? I don't think they do it on Strictly.

It is a metaphor for extreme agitation. It's origins lie in the military when personnel were detached to a particularly boring location and sought refuge in alcohol and the stupidities it encourages. The dancer, to entertain his mates and usually to win a bet of some sort, would stand upon a table and partly insert a rolled up copy of the Daily Mirror, for preference. into the fundamental orifice and set light to the further end then dance in some or other fashion until he could do so no longer in safety at which time he had the delicate task of removing a now thoroughly alight Daily Mirror from a place where it felt it belonged, hence the agitation. I know of it only by tales told by gnarled old sergeants in the quiet days of my RAF service. It does seem quaintly expressive though. Apparently, in the days of National Service (well before my time) there were many such diversions on military camps where there was no TV, nothing to do when off duty except drink, smoke, and mess about. Rumour has it that the Times was the preferred media for use in the officer's mess, but this may just be because it was bigger.
"I do not agree with what you say, but I'll defend to the death my right to be offended by it."
shootist

Postby atticus » Sun Mar 05, 2017 8:42 pm

And doing this outside the club is what the OP should do to get his passport back?
atticus

PreviousNext

Return to First Time Questions