Discussing UK law. Links: swarb.co.uk | law-index | Acts | Members Image galleries

Sent wrong letter of claim

A more welcoming forum
Forum rules
On topic, friendly, and real.

Sent wrong letter of claim

Postby cloudcity » Sun Aug 14, 2016 4:12 pm

Taking advice from a friend with a law degree I drafted a letter of claim that I sent to the police a few months ago in respect of an unlawful stop and search. The police denied liability.

I recently got the opportunity to speak to someone at the Law Centre. They took a look at my original letter and told me that the reason the police denied liability is because I failed to show them precisely where their liability lie. The advisor then helped me draft a proper letter of claim that pointed out the breaches of PACE and to ask for a precise and reasonable amount in damages. The first letter I sent didn't specify any amount in damages.

I didn't ask the advisor at the law centre an important question: how do I substitute the second letter for the first. Should I write to the solicitor who denied liability and ask them to ignore the first letter of claim, or should I just ask them to accept this second letter as a furtherance of my original letter of claim?
cloudcity

Re: Sent wrong letter of claim

Postby atticus » Sun Aug 14, 2016 6:02 pm

The latter. Take care about any time limit to start court action.
atticus

Re: Sent wrong letter of claim

Postby dls » Mon Aug 15, 2016 3:40 pm

You can't pretend the first does not exist, but just send the second.
David Swarbrick (Admin) dswarb@gmail.com - 0795 457 9992
dls
Site Admin

Return to First Time Questions