Discussing UK law. Links: swarb.co.uk | law-index | Acts | Members Image galleries

Accused of fraud

A more welcoming forum
Forum rules
On topic, friendly, and real.

Accused of fraud

Postby Patrick1987 » Thu Jun 09, 2016 6:33 pm

Hi all ,

Not sure if this is right place to put this or not . A family member has accused me of setting up credit in their name using their previous address and dates of birth , which i do not know either their previous address ( i could get there by foot or in car , but not sure of door number , street or post code ) also couldn't tell u there dates of birth . Thing is i live in their daughters house and the parcels have apparantly been getting sent here . But i have never had anything for any of them apart from the odd letter for my cousin . I am at my wits end and do not know what my rights are or where i stand ? I have contacted police on non emergency line and was told there is nothing they can do as it is civil matter and family member has to get back to company and ask more details .
Patrick1987

Re: Accused of fraud

Postby 3.14 » Thu Jun 09, 2016 8:09 pm

They are accusing you to whom?
Hide in the noise. #hackerwisdom

Postby atticus » Thu Jun 09, 2016 8:40 pm

You may have the basis of a harassment complaint.
atticus

Postby Patrick1987 » Thu Jun 09, 2016 9:00 pm

Its a long story they do not live in this country they have redirected mail snd recieved a letter about credit being used and items being sent out , and when they asked where they were going to my address was given . I am totally confused . They have never lived at this address . And surely all parcels need to be signed for ?? Also if they have never ordered before from these places why would they send stuff to an alternative address ? Does that not just scream dodgy ??
Patrick1987

Postby atticus » Thu Jun 09, 2016 10:14 pm

Parcels only need to be signed for if they are sent using a service that requires signature by the recipient. Otherwise, no.

Your third question appears to have some force.
atticus

Postby shootist » Fri Jun 10, 2016 8:01 am

Patrick1987 wrote:Hi all ,

Not sure if this is right place to put this or not . A family member has accused me of setting up credit in their name using their previous address and dates of birth , which i do not know either their previous address ( i could get there by foot or in car , but not sure of door number , street or post code ) also couldn't tell u there dates of birth . Thing is i live in their daughters house and the parcels have apparently been getting sent here . But i have never had anything for any of them apart from the odd letter for my cousin . I am at my wits end and do not know what my rights are or where i stand ? I have contacted police on non emergency line and was told there is nothing they can do as it is civil matter and family member has to get back to company and ask more details .

First thing is that you cannot prove what you do not know, so stop worrying about that. Do you know the details of any of the alleged senders? If you can find out then a data subject access request might help if you ask for photocopies / recordings of orders made. Another useful line of enquiry might be the post office to see if there has been a redirection of mail made in the name of the person allegedly ordering. If the family member has not reported what is a clear case of fraud to the police then he/she is left with trying civil action to recover any losses. To do that you will have to be provided with the details of what is alleged.

IMO, the best resolution is to query, with care, what, in detail, is being alleged by the family member and discuss it openly with the rest of the family. I would also want to know why the family member has not complained to the police and I would demand that he/she does so forthwith or STFU.

If you are ever interviewed about this by the police then whatever you do...

Have a solicitor present during the interview.
"I do not agree with what you say, but I'll defend to the death my right to be offended by it."
shootist

Postby atticus » Fri Jun 10, 2016 3:18 pm

Using a Subject Access Request, the OP will only be able to obtain details of the personal data about him/her that is held. I don't think that is what is needed.
atticus

Return to First Time Questions