Discussing UK law. Links: swarb.co.uk | law-index | Acts | Members Image galleries

Itemised bill

Itemised bill

Postby Legaleye » Tue Feb 03, 2015 9:47 pm

My uncle died in February 2013, there have been a few problems in winding up his estate, today I have recieved a letter from the solicitor who has been assisting a cousin of. Ours in obtaining LOA saying the sum of £2126.02 is due to me.
This is the first written correspondence I have had from the solicitor, prior to this letter I was given a draft of my late uncles estate from another family member, everything on the draft is itemised except the solicitors costs, there is a difference of over £17,000 (I assume this is the solicitors costs), my question is, should the solicitor have included a detailed account of my late uncles estate?

Also would it be acceptable to ask for an itemised bill for the solicitors costs?

The total estate was just over £90,000 gross to be split between 20 surviving nieces and nephews.

Legaleye
Legaleye

Re: Itemised bill

Postby dls » Tue Feb 03, 2015 10:48 pm

The costs of dealing with such a number may be substantial.

Ask. If you are a residual beneficiary as you appear to be you should receive a copy of the accounts.

Do not start out assuming something has gone wrong, but make sure you do get a proper answer.
David Swarbrick (Admin) dswarb@gmail.com - 0795 457 9992
dls
Site Admin

Re: Itemised bill

Postby Legaleye » Wed Feb 04, 2015 12:03 pm

Thank you DLS, regarding the costs, it appears the solicitor has only had dealings with my cousin who obtained LOA, it was he who supplied the solicitor with the names and addresses of the surviving nieces and nephews, as I stated in my OP this is the first written correspondence I have had with the solicitor, obviously I'm unaware of any other checks the solicitor has made.
I, and some other beneficiaries are disappointed the solicitor has not supplied us with a copy of our late uncles accounts, I would have thought it common sense to do so, (or perhaps even a legal requirement?) I will ask for a copy.

Legaleye
Legaleye

Return to Costs