Discussing UK law. Links: swarb.co.uk | law-index | Acts | Members Image galleries

Call for Scots Referendum

Scotland, Europe, Northern Ireland, Wales, Commonwealth, International

Re: Call for Scots Referendum

Postby miner » Sat Mar 18, 2017 8:14 pm

Someone who's posted on the Internet has a clear understanding of current Scottish politics combined with a great ability to write Scottish poetry:

ScotNAT'S DISEASE

The SNP’s just like a cancer,
Attractin’ aye the racist chancer,
Folks wi’ heids on upside doon,
Folks wha wear the rictus frown,
O’ a’ the chumps on Sturgeon’s deck,
Paralized above the neck,
Nae sense o’ right, nae sense o’ honour,
Just victims o' her vicious tumour
In their brains the cells are dyin’,
An’ aye egged on by a’ her lyin’,
She's the virus tha’s made them ill,
By suppin’ on her bigot's swill,
Digestin’ a’ her hate decrees
Tha’s crippled them wi’ Nat’s disease!!
miner

Postby tph » Sat Mar 18, 2017 11:19 pm

Ms Sturgeon seems to want a referendum at all costs and will use any excuse to call for one. I find her and Scotland's logic somewhat contradictory on the matter.

Having one's cake and eating it springs to mind.
tph

Postby miner » Sun Mar 19, 2017 1:16 am

Actually, no, she doesn't "want" a referendum at all because she knows she'd lose it and that would almost certainly spell the end of her political career.

She merely wants to use her threats of a referendum (which isn't her decision anyway) as a stick with which to beat the Westminster government into submitting to her outrageous and ill-conceived demands so that when they don't, she can blame on Westminster all her and her SNP governing party's abysmal failure to govern Scotland.

Sturgeon is just a mischief-maker and attention-seeker and political opportunist with an ego as big as the Great Glen. She is poison as far as the future of Scotland is concerned. Fortunately, there are signs emerging that even her loyal supporters are becoming tired of her childish tantrums.
miner

Postby shootist » Sun Mar 19, 2017 5:46 pm

Unsurprisingly, Sinn Fein seem to be kicking off about a referendum in Northern Ireland with a view to a united Ireland. They have cited the problems of a land border between the EU (Ireland) and non EU (N.I.) and that the majority of N.I. voted to remain. Someone on the radio was claiming that N.I. leaving the EU would promote a disaster the likes of which haven't been seen since the potato famine. It would be interesting if such a referendum was to be held and resulted in a vote for a united Ireland. It would seem that there could be little moral argument against it and I for one would be relieved to get rid of that particular problem for once and for all, and "The United Kingdom Of Great Britain" is smoother without the added "...and Northern Ireland."
"I do not agree with what you say, but I'll defend to the death my right to be offended by it."
shootist

Postby Hairyloon » Sun Mar 19, 2017 6:52 pm

shootist wrote:"The United Kingdom Of Great Britain" is smoother without the added "...and Northern Ireland."

It is, but it won't be a united kingdom if Scotland and Ireland both leave. Certainly not a United Kingdom of Great Britain.
Take me to your lizard...
Hairyloon

Location: From there to here and here to there... Funny things are everywhere.

Postby shootist » Sun Mar 19, 2017 7:29 pm

Are you so ready to discount Wales?
"I do not agree with what you say, but I'll defend to the death my right to be offended by it."
shootist

Postby Hairyloon » Sun Mar 19, 2017 7:46 pm

shootist wrote:Are you so ready to discount Wales?

I'd not heard they were threatening to leave.
If they all want out, then isn't the practical solution for England to leave the UK and let the UK remain in the EU?
Take me to your lizard...
Hairyloon

Location: From there to here and here to there... Funny things are everywhere.

Postby atticus » Sun Mar 19, 2017 7:59 pm

DUK, surely.
atticus

Postby dls » Sun Mar 19, 2017 9:50 pm

If they all want out, then isn't the practical solution for England to leave the UK and let the UK remain in the EU?

The UK is leaving the EU. Even the SNP now acknowledge that they must appy to rejoin.
David Swarbrick (Admin) dswarb@gmail.com - 0795 457 9992
dls
Site Admin

Postby diy » Mon Mar 20, 2017 9:34 am

I get the distinct impression from reading the letters and comments on social media that a lot of people living in Scotland do not want this. If TM has played it right that will be reflected in the next election. However, given the lack of choice and the very fact that the SNP demand X getting something else in return, means that people probably see the SNP delivering more than their fair share from the UK and that they'll see as a good thing.

The worrying thing is the anti-English anti-Scottish mentality will be damaging for both.

All that aside - the current stance that Scotland could leave the UK, and "remain" in the single market would mean People living in Scotland would require visa's to work in the UK. It could also mean customs on the border.

I'm really, really hopping momentum will fizzle for this as - I'm already fed up with all the racist bigotry that is coming out.
My suggestions are not legal advice
diy

Previous

Return to Other jurisdictions (Scotland EU, Wales NI etc)