Discussing UK law. Links: swarb.co.uk | law-index | Acts | Members Image galleries

Call for Scots Referendum

Scotland, Europe, Northern Ireland, Wales, Commonwealth, International

Re: Call for Scots Referendum

Postby miner » Fri Mar 17, 2017 5:43 pm

The problem with entities with a separatist agenda of any sort is that they are next to impossible to reason with. However much autonomy they are granted, they always want more power. Most of them are too stupid to realize the folly of their ways, focused are they are - and as the SNP is - on separation without any meaningful or economically-viable way forward if they were somehow to gain independence. With such extreme, singular focus, they actually lose sight of the day-to-day responsibilities they have been granted to run their devolved governments in a fiscally responsible, competent manner for their people - just as the SNP has failed to do.

Canada has had the same problem with Québec, which was a complete mess - and to some extent is still recovering from that phase. Fortunately, Canadian Government actions have brought about a diminution of the separatist movement and the Québec voters have realized in many cases that the idea of separation is a ridiculous pipe-dream promoted only by economically-illiterate, self-serving, separatist politicians.

There is still a separatist movement in Québec, but its main promoters are increasingly seen as a bunch of windbags.

My perception of "Nae lips Nicky" and her fellow-travellers is that they and their ideas are even more absurd and out of touch with reality than what has been seen in Québec over the years.

After Sturgeon stupidly believed on Monday that she had ambushed Theresa May, Theresa May has done a great job in the past couple of days in politely but firmly taking the wind out of Sturgeon's sails and putting Sturgeon in her place. The Scots - and I am one, by birth - would be wise to oust the evil, disrespectful, dishonest Sturgeon before she inflicts even more long-term damage on Scotland.
miner

Postby atticus » Fri Mar 17, 2017 8:15 pm

Can you please explain why you feel the need to make derogatory personal comments about people with whom you disagree? It is unattractive.
atticus

Postby miner » Fri Mar 17, 2017 9:01 pm

Can you please explain why, when dealing with such topics, you feel the need to come over with nauseatingly neutral, sanitised views on people who have demonstrated themselves to be disrespectful and manifestly dishonest?

If you find some of my views "unattractive", I certainly find many of your views "unattractive". You are a lawyer who perhaps under SRA and Law Society rules, finds it necessary to express nauseatingly sanitized views. I am not subject to any such rules.

Someone as nasty as Sturgeon who has shown such utter contempt for the Scots and has been so publicly rude and disrespectful towards the Prime Minister of the United Kingdom has brought herself into such disrepute that she encourages herself to be criticized by others.

You, I am afraid, have an unfortunate style which is akin to that of a schoolteacher lecturing his naughty pupils. I find that insulting in extremis.
miner

Postby atticus » Fri Mar 17, 2017 9:04 pm

Your words speak for themselves, and for and about you.
atticus

Postby miner » Fri Mar 17, 2017 9:14 pm

As yours do about you.
miner

Postby atticus » Fri Mar 17, 2017 9:18 pm

Well there you are.

And I leave you the last word - see below.
atticus

Postby miner » Fri Mar 17, 2017 9:21 pm

Yup, there you are.

Have a good weekend!
miner

Postby diy » Sat Mar 18, 2017 7:14 am

I'm having it - HA! :D
My suggestions are not legal advice
diy

Postby Hairyloon » Sat Mar 18, 2017 9:02 am

dls wrote:When the Scottish Parliament was creaed it was given many powers. Many other powers were specifically reserved to the UK parliament. Included among them are the power to hold a referendum.

Any referendum, or specifically an independence referendum? Where in the acts is it set out?
Believing thst because she stamps her feet London must jump entirely begs the question.

She was democratically elected to represent Scotland. She has a much greater mandate to stamp for Scotland than the Former Home Secretary has to stamp for England.
And again, no question has been put, and you cannot assume a constitutional crisis because a question whch has not yet been put has not been answered...

An answer has been given: Scotland may not have an independence referendum. But you misunderstand my assumption: I don't assume a constitutional crisis because of the results of Indyref2 (I don't like that name, but it is convenient); I assume a constitutional crisis because constitutional convention has been ignored.
That the crisis hasn't happened yet is not the relevant point: it should be a constitutional requirement to avert a clearly predicted crisis rather than exacerbate it.
Take me to your lizard...
Hairyloon

Location: From there to here and here to there... Funny things are everywhere.

Postby dls » Sat Mar 18, 2017 3:03 pm

An answer has been given: Scotland may not have an independence referendum.

No wonder. No such answer has been given, because no such question has been put. Do not fall for the foot stamping.

The distribution of powers is in the Scotland Act.
David Swarbrick (Admin) dswarb@gmail.com - 0795 457 9992
dls
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Other jurisdictions (Scotland EU, Wales NI etc)