Discussing UK law. Links: swarb.co.uk | law-index | Acts | Members Image galleries

A question about how the EU operates

Scotland, Europe, Northern Ireland, Wales, Commonwealth, International

A question about how the EU operates

Postby shootist » Sun Jun 26, 2016 6:54 am

The law making process of the EU. It has been said, with much conviction, that the European Parliament can neither make nor repeal laws. Instead, laws are issued as directives by a body of unelected, mostly unknown, bureaucrats, according to their preferences. Is there anybody here able to throw any light on this? (And for Atti, if there is, will they please do so.)
"I do not agree with what you say, but I'll defend to the death my right to be offended by it."
shootist

Re: A question about how the EU operates

Postby atticus » Sun Jun 26, 2016 7:16 am

Using my search engine, I have found you something to read (the UK still has access to this, but hurry).

http://europa.eu/eu-law/decision-making ... dex_en.htm
atticus

Re: A question about how the EU operates

Postby shootist » Sun Jun 26, 2016 7:24 am

Thank you. My search engine didn't come up with that particular item. I did enjoy reading the second paragraph, whatever the rest reveals.

Before the Commission proposes new initiatives it assesses the potential economic, social and environmental consequences that they may have. It does this by preparing 'Impact assessments' which set out the advantages and disadvantages of possible policy options.

The Commission also consults interested parties such as non-governmental organisations, local authorities and representatives of industry and civil society. Groups of experts give advice on technical issues. In this way, the Commission ensures that legislative proposals correspond to the needs of those most concerned and avoids unnecessary red tape.

Citizens, businesses and organisations can participate in the consultation procedure via the website Public consultations.

National parliaments can formally express their reservations if they feel that it would be better to deal with an issue at national rather than EU level.

Smoke and mirrors, the smoke being blown up the fundamental orifice, I think.
"I do not agree with what you say, but I'll defend to the death my right to be offended by it."
shootist

Return to Other jurisdictions (Scotland EU, Wales NI etc)