Discussing UK law. Links: swarb.co.uk | law-index | Acts | Members Image galleries

What next in law?

Scotland, Europe, Northern Ireland, Wales, Commonwealth, International

Re: What next in law?

Postby Spankymonkey » Tue Jun 28, 2016 2:16 pm

The European Council website states:

The European Council defines the EU's overall political direction and priorities. It is not one of the EU's legislating institutions, so does not negotiate or adopt EU laws. Instead it sets the EU's policy agenda, traditionally by adopting 'conclusions' during European Council meetings which identify issues of concern and actions to take.

Which seems to bring me full circle and again question the relationship between the EU and the Court of Human Rights.
Spankymonkey

Postby dls » Tue Jun 28, 2016 7:49 pm

And again - none.

The EU now has the Charter of Fundamental Rights - its own native human rights charter and system of law When we leave the EU that disappears from our law. That leaves entirely intact the Convention,

The Convention may have originated from the Council but exists now through - and only through - the Convention and its signatures.
David Swarbrick (Admin) dswarb@gmail.com - 0795 457 9992
dls
Site Admin

Postby atticus » Tue Jun 28, 2016 8:25 pm

The Council of Europe is (confusingly) not the European Council of Ministers.
atticus

Postby Spankymonkey » Wed Jun 29, 2016 1:06 am

God, how many different European clubs are there? It must be the most profitable time in history to be a bureaucrat. Especially when most of Europe don't know your position even exists. How do I get myself on the payroll?
Spankymonkey

Postby dls » Wed Jun 29, 2016 5:16 pm

Move to Scotland?
dls
Site Admin

Postby miner » Wed Jun 29, 2016 5:35 pm

Let's just hypothesise that Sturgeon can succeed in (a) securing another referendum for independence and (b) winning such a referendum. Those are already 2 very major hurdles to achieve.

Scotland would then theoretically be in a position to apply for membership of the EU (if it hasn't broken up by then).

Then surely there would be the customary 5-year transition period for full membership?

If such membership were gained, then many of those who might have gone to England and Wales would then be likely to want to gravitate to Scotland (same language, ... of a sort!). The result? a massive increase in immigration into Scotland, placing an intolerable burden on Scotland as a fledgling independent country.

The whole scenario is just a joke, really, as there would be substantial opposition from within the EU to Scotland joining, along the lines that Spain has just indicated.

Interesting times we live in ........
miner

Postby dls » Thu Jun 30, 2016 6:39 pm

Scotland would then theoretically be in a position to apply for membership of the EU (if it hasn't broken up by then).

No. There would then have to be an Act passed by London Parliament dissolving the Union. A referendum is not itself a legislative Act. It is an indication of the wishes of the people. The Act would trigger a process (akin perhaps to an article 5 notice) providing a long process of unravelment, only at the end of which could Scotland become an independent nation capable of applying for EU membership.

Of course we none of us know . .
I find several Scots politicians particularly annoying. I quite like the rest.
dls
Site Admin

Postby miner » Thu Jun 30, 2016 7:00 pm

So it's an even more protracted process than I had hypothesized. It makes that silly little girl Nicola Sturgeon look even more stupid than she already does.

Sturgeon's rise to Scottish stardom was exceptionally fast. Her fall from that pinnacle will be even faster once it starts.
miner

Postby Hairyloon » Wed Apr 05, 2017 7:36 pm

So what would happen if we remained in the EU and simply "took back control": started making our own laws and putting some control on immigration?
Take me to your lizard...
Hairyloon

Location: From there to here and here to there... Funny things are everywhere.

Postby atticus » Wed Apr 05, 2017 7:38 pm

Which parallel universe are you in today?
atticus

PreviousNext

Return to Other jurisdictions (Scotland EU, Wales NI etc)