Discussing UK law. Links: swarb.co.uk | law-index | Acts | Members Image galleries

Right to access the internet

Scotland, Europe, Northern Ireland, Wales, Commonwealth, International

Right to access the internet

Postby tph » Fri Oct 30, 2015 10:17 pm

I have heard (from a fairly reliable source) that around 2018 the European Parliament will be looking at enshrining access to the internet as a right. It will be interesting to see how that pans out.
tph

Re: Right to access the internet

Postby atticus » Fri Oct 30, 2015 10:48 pm

Hasn't Finland already done pretty much that?
atticus

Postby atticus » Sat Oct 31, 2015 10:36 am

atticus

Postby Slartibartfast » Sat Oct 31, 2015 11:42 am

tph wrote:I have heard (from a fairly reliable source) that around 2018 the European Parliament will be looking at enshrining access to the internet as a right. It will be interesting to see how that pans out.

It will be interesting to see how they phrase that right -

The right to pay for a internet connection at the price offered by available suppliers, or the right to have internet access provided by the state (with or without charge) at your home or a convenient nearby location? The right to a broadband connection, or just a trickle service? What right to private use, including for sex offenders, hackers or stalkers?
"Judicial tergiversation is not to be encouraged"
Slartibartfast

Postby Denning » Sun Nov 01, 2015 5:12 am

I think the British Government (if compelled to do so by EU), may likely treat "right to access the internet" the way "right to access the court" is being implemented.

In my opinion there is no longer true "right to access the court" in England. Whilst there may be several contributory elements to denial of the right to access the court, the element relating to seeking leave/permission of the court is the single most dangerous denial of the right to access to court.
Denning

Return to Other jurisdictions (Scotland EU, Wales NI etc)