Discussing UK law. Links: swarb.co.uk | law-index | Acts | Members Image galleries

Which first

Scotland, Europe, Northern Ireland, Wales, Commonwealth, International

Which first

Postby dls » Tue Feb 25, 2014 11:33 am

Which country (of the following) should be next admitted to membership of the EU
- Scotland
- Ukraine
- Turkey
- Catalonia

And should we step aside to make it easier for them?
David Swarbrick (Admin) dswarb@gmail.com - 0795 457 9992
dls
Site Admin

Re: Which first

Postby atticus » Tue Feb 25, 2014 11:56 am

Only 2 are in existence now as separate nations.

My view is that should Scotland or Catalunya become independent, breaking away from EU members, they should be assisted to integrate.

What happened when Czech and Slovakia split? Was Czechoslovakia in the EU?

Ukraine and Turkey have different and separate problems. One of the issues with Ukraine is further encroachment on Russia's sphere of influence.
atticus

Postby miner » Tue Feb 25, 2014 2:01 pm

atticus wrote:
What happened when Czech and Slovakia split? Was Czechoslovakia in the EU?

No.
miner

Postby miner » Tue Feb 25, 2014 2:19 pm

Given the shambles into which the EU has degenerated, no more countries should be admitted until it either sorts out the mess it has created or (better still in my view) breaks up.

Just go to one or two UK Towns and Cities such as Evesham, and see what "free movement of labour" actually means in its implementation and effect. It's degenerated into an unpleasant place, the centre of which is now usually full of drunken economic migrants from Eastern Europe. They didn't come to the UK to work, they came largely because they knew they could sponge off the UK's welfare and benefits system.

The massive influxes of economic migrants, who are predominantly from poor Eastern European countries, are destroying the social and economic structure and culture of the UK and, but for the absurdity of the EU's rules, they would never be in the UK anyway.

THe UK should be looking after the welfare of its own ilk, not economic migrants from Eastern Europe.
miner

Postby shootist » Tue Feb 25, 2014 3:30 pm

It's a fascinating philosophy. Scotland wants independence from the UK (or some of it does, lets talk about the ones that do.) Then it seems it wants to join the EU, an organisation that displays every intention of becoming a United States of Europe. What is it they seem to be looking to achieve, independence, or a change of masters?
"I do not agree with what you say, but I'll defend to the death my right to be offended by it."
shootist

Postby atticus » Tue Feb 25, 2014 3:32 pm

a greater degree of autonomy, perhaps.
atticus

Postby atticus » Tue Feb 25, 2014 3:34 pm

I didn't realise that the Czech/Slovak split took place on 1 January 1993. I had an idea it was more recent.
atticus

Postby miner » Tue Feb 25, 2014 3:39 pm

atticus wrote:I didn't realise that the Czech/Slovak split took place on 1 January 1993. I had an idea it was more recent.

I knew that Czechoslovakia was not a member of the EU, but I hadn't realized that the split into the Czech Republic and Slovakia took place as long as 20 years ago. How time flies as one gets older!
miner

Postby miner » Tue Feb 25, 2014 3:45 pm

atticus wrote:a greater degree of autonomy, perhaps.

I think that in reality, they would have less autonomy, given the way the EU operates, which is somewhat akin to a parliamentary dictatorship which seeks to overrule and override the national interests of the individual countries within it via its Brussels Bureaucracy.

To clarify my position, I have always been a staunch supporter of the Common Market, which is what the UK elected to join. The UK never voted for membership of a European Union. Edward Heath should have been up for treason for his deception of the UK populace.
miner

Postby Boo » Tue Feb 25, 2014 7:27 pm

miner wrote:It's degenerated into an unpleasant place, the centre of which is now usually full of drunken economic migrants from Eastern Europe. They didn't come to the UK to work, they came largely because they knew they could sponge off the UK's welfare and benefits system.

There are strict rules for economic migrants to adhere to while in the UK.

First, they cannot claim any benefits as soon as they get here. They have to be living here for 3 months, after which they must show they have a good chance of being hired by an employer or show they can afford to live here without being a burden to the tax payer. During this time they will need to demonstrate they have the right to reside in the UK.
Only after that, can they apply for JSA/HB. Those who are in work or self employed - tax credits etc, can claim HB.

Employment agencies have enticed EMs by offers of work only to pull the plug on the hours available. Then we are left with a situation where by those who are classed as a NRPF- nerf - (no recourse to public funds) are stuffed.

Just sayin'
God - "I have made Mankind!"
Angels - "You screwed up a perfectly good monkey is what you did. Look at it. It's got anxiety!"
Boo

Next

Return to Other jurisdictions (Scotland EU, Wales NI etc)