Discussing UK law. Links: swarb.co.uk | law-index | Acts | Members Image galleries

Charity Cut Price Sale.

Re: Charity Cut Price Sale.

Postby Hairyloon » Mon Nov 21, 2016 2:52 pm

atticus wrote:Was A 'wound down' before the transfer to B, or after?

I don't know.
The transfer was because of the winding down, but I think we have discussed before that trustees remain trustees until they can pass on the trust. That would seem to me to be the relevant point.
Take me to your lizard...
Hairyloon

Location: From there to here and here to there... Funny things are everywhere.

Postby atticus » Mon Nov 21, 2016 7:31 pm

The answer may lie in:

1. The terms of the sale from A to B.

2. B's charitable objects.

3. A reference to the Charity Commission complaining about the sale by B to C and the price said to have been paid.

I am not sure what standing the former trustees of A may have in relation to the onward sale by B. If B has sold to C, the sale by A cannot be undone.

I'm not sure I've got to the bottom of what "we" want, whoever "we" are. I still think investigation by the Charity Commission is likely to be their best chance of getting this all looked at and appropriate action taken.
atticus

Postby Hairyloon » Mon Nov 21, 2016 8:10 pm

atticus wrote:1. The terms of the sale from A to B.

There was no sale.
The Charity Commission said "you're disbanding and we don't agree with what you think your constitution says you should do when you disband so we're just going to give it to B."

2. B's charitable objects.

Would have been far better served by keeping the property and allowing it to be used than by the amount of funds they have gained.

I'm not sure I've got to the bottom of what "we" want, whoever "we" are.

"We" want the land put to the use to which it was intended by the people who originally raised the money to buy it for. Who "we" are is not really relevant (sorry).

I still think investigation by the Charity Commission is likely to be their best chance of getting this all looked at and appropriate action taken.

I believe they are investigating. I was wondering what they might be likely to do. Thank you for helping.
Hairyloon

Postby atticus » Mon Nov 21, 2016 9:04 pm

The terms of the transfer from A to B, then. Were any conditions attached?
atticus

Postby Hairyloon » Mon Nov 21, 2016 10:17 pm

atticus wrote:The terms of the transfer from A to B, then. Were any conditions attached?

It should have had the trusts transferred along with it, but it was never made clear from where the authority to transfer it was derived, except that the Charity Commission appears to answer only to itself.
That said, it does now appear to have been persuaded to ask itself questions, but it did take a lot of persuading. :?
Hairyloon

Previous

Return to Trusts/Equity/Charity