Discussing UK law. Links: swarb.co.uk | law-index | Acts | Members Image galleries

Defamation Question

Defamation Question

Postby iwanttoaskaquestion » Fri Jul 29, 2016 3:26 pm

I would appreciate any advice or opinions are regards what would/could be the position in the below outlined matter.Iwll
exclude names etc

1. Person A signs up as member of a Website that hosts many auction houses and allows for bidding
at the auctions . There are 2 ways of bidding .(1) Leaving an "autobid" whereby the Website waits until
the Live auction is runningn and then bids UPTO the maximum needed to win,or stops when the
autobid amount is exhausted. (2) Bidding Live as the auction is proceeding. Either way bids go to
the Website company and thence to the specific auction house.

2. Person A enters a bid for a particular LOT in a specific auction INTO the website system

3. Person A then realises that the Bid has been placed on the wrong LOT number and therefore
contacts the Website Who then advised that they have REMOVED the autobid from their
software system. The Website also advises that they will contact the Auction houses
concerned and will get them to Re Start their software at the auction house end to romove the
auto bid from THEIR system Note the bid is NOT now on Person A's account as has been removed.
The Auction House then REFUSES the request of the Website to Re Start their computer systems
even though it is 6 hours until the LOT comes up at auction.

4. Person A then receives an invoice from the Auction House for the LOT in question as no one else bid .

I guess questions are (1) was refusing to restart the software at auction house end acceptable , bearing in that they knew
reason as is not unknown to be done at all ? (2) WHO placed the Bid ,since it was removed from Person A'a account ?

Once I receive the replies I will then ask another question if I may.

Thanks
iwanttoaskaquestion

Re: Defamation Question

Postby Smouldering Stoat » Fri Jul 29, 2016 4:30 pm

What does A's contract with the website and auction house say?

What does this have to do with defamation?
Smouldering Stoat

Re: Defamation Question

Postby atticus » Fri Jul 29, 2016 4:31 pm

Where is the defamation question in all this?
atticus

Return to Torts - Negligence, Defamation and others