Discussing UK law. Links: swarb.co.uk | law-index | Acts | Members Image galleries

Possible Harassment

Re: Possible Harassment

Postby Legaleye » Sat Mar 19, 2016 7:52 pm

Wow
Thank you all for your help on this matter.
If you read my posts you will see that I have not been employed or claimed any social security benefits, I left the questions about this blank simply because there was nothing to write in them!
I am pretty sure I will be having a medical very soon, as my medication has increased since my last medical (2013) and my condition has deteriorated, I think there's a good chance the doctor will say I'm still unfit for employment.
I must say I'm very disappointed with Millbrook2's posts, although they are very informative by showing how HR work, can I also stress he couldn't be more wrong in my case.
Having re-read all the posts, I have not made my claim clear enough, I wondered if the actions of HR continually telling me I had to give them information regarding what I consider to be personnel, would I have a case under the Proctection from Harassment Act, not simply because I didn't want to give that information. I will not now be making any such claim (this time) but that's not to say I won't in the future, dls gave me an idea of what questions to ask, thank you dls.
Am I paranoid? Yes I think I am, when people know you've been retired ill health with a 'bad back' you usually get that little grin on there clueless faces, with a response, "oh yes, a bad back", unfortunately people make assumptions (as they have done on here) which are wrong, this is what fuels my paranoia.
A big thanks to shootist, you don't know how good it is to have someone help fight your corner, I agree with everything you said.
I will be contacting the FBU regarding this matter for advice, but I will hold off doing anything this time, however I am pretty sure I will be having another medical in 2019, who knows what will happen then, we'll have to wait and see.

Legaleye
Legaleye

Postby shootist » Sat Mar 19, 2016 8:17 pm

Legaleye wrote:A big thanks to shootist, you don't know how good it is to have someone help fight your corner, I agree with everything you said.
I will be contacting the FBU regarding this matter for advice, but I will hold off doing anything this time, however I am pretty sure I will be having another medical in 2019, who knows what will happen then, we'll have to wait and see.

Legaleye

For the sake of clarity, fighting your corner might be a bit of an overstatement. To be blunt, I do not know your case well enough to do that. At best I may have helped you cope with what I consider to be a most unjust attitude posted here which might have thrown you off course, an attitude I find contemptible.

But do get advice. I would suggest both from the FBU, and if you have any legal insurance, from them also. If you are 'invited' to any meeting then consider the purchase of a voice recorder. It can be a good start to an interview by placing it on the desk and declaring your intention to record the interview. After all, if they have nothing to hide then they have nothing to fear. :roll: If at all possible, attend any meetings accompanied by a legal representative. Tread carefully, there may be some arsehole in the chain of command that will stop your pension without caring whether it's right or even legal to do so.
"I do not agree with what you say, but I'll defend to the death my right to be offended by it."
shootist

Postby Legaleye » Sat Mar 19, 2016 8:33 pm

shootist wrote:
Legaleye wrote:A big thanks to shootist, you don't know how good it is to have someone help fight your corner, I agree with everything you said.

Legaleye

For the sake of clarity, fighting your corner might be a bit of an overstatement. To be blunt, I do not know your case well enough to do that. At best I may have helped you cope with what I consider to be a most unjust attitude posted here which might have thrown you off course, an attitude I find contemptible.

But do get advice. I would suggest both from the FBU, and if you have any legal insurance, from them also. If you are 'invited' to any meeting then consider the purchase of a voice recorder. It can be a good start to an interview by placing it on the desk and declaring your intention to record the interview. After all, if they have nothing to hide then they have nothing to fear. :roll: If at all possible, attend any meetings accompanied by a legal representative. Tread carefully, there may be some arsehole in the chain of command that will stop your pension without caring whether it's right or even legal to do so.

By fighting my corner I meant the post that both you and I found contemptible, it has given me an insight into how the lady in HR probably works though!
I have contacted the FBU regarding this matter.
Before I retired in 2010 I was invited into the HR lady's office to discuss what would happen, it was to be just an informal meeting she said, however when I entered her office I was more than surprised to see an officer there also, fortunately I had my junior officer with me simply as a witness, she looked shocked when I said he would be also attend the meeting, I don't trust any management from my old brigade.
I have a small tape recorder which I have used in the past.
If ever we meet the drinks are on me.
Legaleye

Postby Hairyloon » Sat Mar 19, 2016 9:01 pm

shootist wrote:[If you are 'invited' to any meeting then consider the purchase of a voice recorder. It can be a good start to an interview by placing it on the desk and declaring your intention to record the interview...

Perhaps have a covert one running as well, in case they say no...
Take me to your lizard...
Hairyloon

Location: From there to here and here to there... Funny things are everywhere.

Postby Legaleye » Fri Jun 24, 2016 8:54 pm

Update.

I was told by HR I had to see the doctor at the HQ of a neighbouring brigade (a return journey of 46 miles), I asked to see him nearer to my home as I did in 2013, she said this was impossible due to the service agreement they had with the neighbouring brigade, I reminded her that my medication can cause drowsiness and several emails later the doctor agreed to see me at my old brigade headquarters (16 miles return from my home).
I had my medical yesterday, the doctor was again very nice, asked me what medication I was taking and how I felt in myself, apart from the painkillers I take I'm also on Prozac for depression and anxiety, it was at this point that I told him exactly how I felt about the HR lady and I asked him why I had to give information about social security benefits, he told me that he had not requested this information and didn't know why I had been asked to supply it! He has agreed that I am to stay on the higher rate of pension ie I am not fit to do any paid work.
When I was leaving the HR lady came out of her office and ran along the corridor to see me, she said with a smug expression on her face, " I'm finished tomorrow so someone else will be I touch in 3 years time to arrange another medical ok",(she has been made redundant)
I smiled and replied, "oh I look forward to that", sarcastically.
When I returned home I emailed her and asked as she was finished tomorrow who I should send my travelling expenses too, she replied soon after saying they normally didn't pay travelling expenses for medicals but on this occasion they would, she went on to give me a contact at BHQ for my claim.

Once again thank you all for your free help.

Keepitlegal
Legaleye

Postby atticus » Sat Jun 25, 2016 7:10 am

Maybe the medical provided a major part but not all of the information needed.
atticus

Postby Legaleye » Sat Jun 25, 2016 8:24 am

I've found the rules regarding ill health retirements, there is no mention of other incomes, the doctor has to decide if I can, A - carry out the duties of an operational fireman, and or
B - carry out paid work for 30 hours/week averaged out over a 12 month period
The rules also say I must be examined by an IQMP (Independent Qualified Medical Practitioner) who has not dealt with my case, he's hardly independent as he is employed by the fire brigade, he was also the same doctor I saw in 2013.
The more I find out and her manner yesterday reinforces my belief that she doesn't like me, and is hell bent on taking away the higher tier of my pension.
As of yesterday she is no longer employed, I Wil be dealing with someone different in 3 years time, or will I?

Keepitlegal
Legaleye

Postby atticus » Sat Jun 25, 2016 8:30 am

My answer to that question is that it depends on whether she will be brought back on a part-time cosultancy basis to handle cases such as yours, in view of her expertise and her greater knowledge of those cases.
atticus

Postby Legaleye » Sat Jun 25, 2016 9:03 am

atticus wrote:My answer to that question is that it depends on whether she will be brought back on a part-time cosultancy basis to handle cases such as yours, in view of her expertise and her greater knowledge of those cases.

She was made redundant because of cost cutting measures, the fire brigade were the only department of the county council who had their own HR department, I doubt she will resurface in a consultancy basis.

Keepitlegal
Legaleye

Postby atticus » Sat Jun 25, 2016 9:25 am

You asked the question. That suggests you may have doubts. Part time consultancy can cost less than full time employment.
atticus

PreviousNext

Return to Torts - Negligence, Defamation and others