Discussing UK law. Links: swarb.co.uk | law-index | Acts | Members Image galleries

Jacket stolen from a venue cloak room

Re: Jacket stolen from a venue cloak room

Postby Czza » Thu Nov 23, 2017 10:39 pm

dls, thanks for your reply, I can prove in as far as I have all the CCTV from the night (I know this is a different issue and the ICO are aware) and I can be seen wearing the jacket, albeit the picture quality is not great, re the condition, this is difficult to prove, and re value, yes I have a listing on ebay (USA) from the very date it was stolen showing the value as a new item and various other listing from different dates showing the value for used and new.
Czza

Postby Czza » Sun Nov 26, 2017 1:46 am

dls wrote:It is about the evidence. Can you prove what it was, and itscondition, and its value.

dls, thanks for your reply, I can prove in as far as I have all the CCTV from the night (I know this is a different issue and the ICO are aware) and I can be seen wearing the jacket, albeit the picture quality is not great, re the condition, this is difficult to prove, and re value, yes I have a listing on ebay (USA) from the very date it was stolen showing the value as a new item and various other listing from different dates showing the value for used and new.
Czza

Postby atticus » Sun Nov 26, 2017 8:36 am

There is no need to repeat a post. As you can see, they are both there.
atticus

Postby Czza » Sun Nov 26, 2017 11:30 am

Atticus, apologies about the repeat.
Czza

Postby theycantdothat » Sun Nov 26, 2017 8:10 pm

Is it not only the thief who can be sued in conversion which is "taking with the intent of exercising over the chattel an ownership inconsistent with the real owner's right of possession" Fouldes v. Willoughby (1841)? How about negligence? Failing that, breach of contract?
theycantdothat

Postby Czza » Sun Nov 26, 2017 10:26 pm

theycantdothat wrote:Is it not only the thief who can be sued in conversion which is "taking with the intent of exercising over the chattel an ownership inconsistent with the real owner's right of possession" Fouldes v. Willoughby (1841)? How about negligence? Failing that, breach of contract?

Thanks for the reply, I have it in writing where they admit negligence "we have never disputed that the jacket went missing whilst in our care and my offer to you is that we shall reimburse you for the amount that you paid as supported by the invoice provided".

I suppose my concern is what I can realistically expect in terms of compensation - what I paid as they have offered or its current value which is greater?
Czza

Postby theycantdothat » Mon Nov 27, 2017 8:06 pm

If they have admitted liability you are more than halfway there. Even if the law is in your favour, it is a question of whether you go for a bird in the hand rather than a bird in a long drawn out argument. What is the difference between the price you paid and the current value?
theycantdothat

Postby Czza » Mon Nov 27, 2017 10:09 pm

theycantdothat wrote:If they have admitted liability you are more than halfway there. Even if the law is in your favour, it is a question of whether you go for a bird in the hand rather than a bird in a long drawn out argument. What is the difference between the price you paid and the current value?

Paid £315, used btwn £450 - 650 and new £750+ as per ebay.
Czza

Postby atticus » Mon Nov 27, 2017 10:38 pm

And which best represents your garment at the time of its loss?
atticus

Postby Czza » Mon Nov 27, 2017 11:22 pm

Bought in 2014, was in excellent condition, I would say used.
Czza

PreviousNext

Return to Contract and Consumer Law