Discussing UK law. Links: swarb.co.uk | law-index | Acts | Members Image galleries

"Unsafe food" and "use by" dates.

Re: "Unsafe food" and "use by" dates.

Postby atticus » Tue Jun 06, 2017 7:46 pm

I only used the dictionary to provide you a definition of a word whose meaning I had already explained. The meaning is clear, there is no need for a judge to rule, although it is possible that the word has been discussed in cases regarding the "service" rules of the CPR.
atticus

Postby Hairyloon » Tue Jun 06, 2017 8:55 pm

But the dictionary does not confirm your explanation: there is nothing in the dictionary to suggest that a deeming cannot be overwritten by facts.
Take me to your lizard...
Hairyloon

Location: From there to here and here to there... Funny things are everywhere.

Postby atticus » Tue Jun 06, 2017 9:16 pm

If you are determined so to believe
atticus

Postby Hairyloon » Tue Jun 06, 2017 11:35 pm

Hairyloon wrote:They have cited Regulation 19(1) of The Food Safety and Hygiene (England) Regulations 2013 and Article 24 of EC 1169/2011.

The latter seems to be about labelling... :?

There is a point that I think we have all overlooked. EC 1169/2011 is about food labelling: Article 24 sets out the parameters to which the "use by" date must be set.
Specifically, it says:
1. In the case of foods which, from a microbiological point of view, are highly perishable and are therefore likely after a short period to constitute an immediate danger to human health, the date of minimum durability shall be replaced by the ‘use by’ date.

In all other cases a "use by" date should not be applied: it seems to me that the breach of EC 1169/2011 was by whoever put the labels on.
Hairyloon

Postby dls » Wed Jun 07, 2017 4:49 am

I have been unable to find a section supporting your last assertion. I think you are doing a bit of deeming of your own.
David Swarbrick (Admin) dswarb@gmail.com - 0795 457 9992
dls
Site Admin

Postby Hairyloon » Wed Jun 07, 2017 8:33 am

dls wrote:I have been unable to find a section supporting your last assertion. I think you are doing a bit of deeming of your own.

If it is deemed, then by your own assertions that puts an end to the matter, but I am not a Maybot: I will not about face on the point just because it is convenient.

Do you not agree that EC 1169/2011 is about labelling?

I will concede that my assertion may have been more assertive than it should have been: "should not" is more imperative than "no need to", but I suggest that perhaps in the context "no need" should be read as "should not".
The context is that in the given circumstances there is an obligation to create a potential offence: if the food is likely to become unsafe after a short period, then you must put a label on it that says so. Ignoring that label is a criminal offence (allegedly).

It does not make sense to extend that obligation into an invitation to create these potential offences willy nilly, else where would it end?
Hairyloon

Postby atticus » Wed Jun 07, 2017 10:32 am

Given the final sentence of Article 24 para 1, to which I have previously referred and which you again overlook, it is clear that the regulation concerns not just labelling but other matters including the significance of "use by" dates and the effect of those dates being passed ("deemed unfit etc"). You need to follow your researches through to the other regulations referred to in that sentence.
atticus

Postby Hairyloon » Wed Jun 07, 2017 11:56 am

I do not overlook the sentence, I suggest the purpose of the sentence is to describe the criteria under which the label is supposed to be used.
Hairyloon

Postby atticus » Wed Jun 07, 2017 12:01 pm

Really? Can you explain how you come to that interesting conclusion?
atticus

Postby Hairyloon » Wed Jun 07, 2017 12:05 pm

Can you explain how you fail to?
Hairyloon

PreviousNext

Return to Contract and Consumer Law