Discussing UK law. Links: swarb.co.uk | law-index | Acts | Members Image galleries

Non Pecuniary damages

Re: Non Pecuniary damages

Postby tommydog » Sat Apr 15, 2017 7:56 pm

What about a statutory claim under the Consumer Rights Act 2015? I think I have 6 years for this. I was specifically thinking of section 49:

49.Service to be performed with reasonable care and skill

If I can establish that discrimination in the provision of services by the university is a breach of this clause, then I may be able to claim a price reduction on the fees:

56.Right to price reduction

But what happens if my fees were paid by way of a bursary? These were paid directly to the university by the NHS Business Services Authority. As I did not pay these from my own pocket, where does this leave section 56 as a right to a price reduction?
tommydog

Postby atticus » Sat Apr 15, 2017 10:44 pm

Be certain that this Act applies to higher education. I have not had time to check, but that is the first thing I would do.
atticus

Postby tommydog » Sun Apr 16, 2017 9:11 am

It does apply to higher education. Here is a short article on a solicitors website about it:

https://www.matchsolicitors.com/news/20 ... -education

It still leaves me with the question, of where do I stand if my fees were paid by an NHS bursary? How would claiming a price reduction on the fees work?
tommydog

Previous

Return to Contract and Consumer Law