Discussing UK law. Links: swarb.co.uk | law-index | Acts | Members Image galleries

Second Hand Car & Warranty

Second Hand Car & Warranty

Postby NeverRemembers » Wed Feb 22, 2017 10:01 pm

Hi folks

Used to be here, but as per the name, forgot my login. :roll:

Long & short is, bought a second hand car from a dealer in November '15. Paid deposit on Credit Card for that bit of extra 'reassurance'. Balance paid from bank account. Came with a '12 Month parts and labour warranty'.

Mid last year, took car for its service with them, and on the service they advised there was an issue with one of the front calipers, in that it was sticking, and was in the process of ruining the disc/pad. They wanted me to pay for a new set of pads and discs for the front, and they would carry out the warranty work f.o.c but charge the labour costs of the non-warranty work. I declined, booked it for the warranty work, and they replaced pads and discs f.o.c as well as remedying the work (I think they were trying it on). No paperwork was issued to me regarding the replacement caliper.

However, now the caliper is sticking again, and it's noticably affecting my fuel consumption. Car is out of the 'warranty' period.

I think the caliper *should* still be under warranty, but am unsure. I feel at the very least they should remedy this, either because it's under warranty, or I can push under statute law, and due to the period being longer than six months, hope that the previous replacement of a faulty part would stand me in good stead that there is an inherent problem.

Failing this, thinking of attempting to bring a claim through the CC company, though I don't hold much confidence. Am I chasing my tail, or is it worth a shot? Are there any other avenue's I could pursue that I've overlooked?

Thanks
NeverRemembers

Re: Second Hand Car & Warranty

Postby miner » Thu Feb 23, 2017 12:21 am

You're chasing your tail.
miner

Postby diy » Thu Feb 23, 2017 3:02 pm

Warranty covers the original work. You are now out of warranty, so you now have to prove the caliper sticking was not remedied under warranty. You've been through a winter since, so all sorts of crap could have been picked up. My guess is its a faulty seal, but you need to get the work done by someone - them if they will give a discretionary discount someone else if not. If that person can find evidence of defective work then you could have a claim, but only if the previous firm had told you to do one based on the alleged defective service.

btw its not affecting just your fuel consumption it has the potential to throw you in a ditch. I had a binding caliper on a motorbike once and the front let go on the gentlest of bends as it was equivalent to having the front brakes on slightly, which is not good when going around a corner.
My suggestions are not legal advice
diy

Postby Hairyloon » Thu Feb 23, 2017 7:46 pm

Sounds like they unstuck the calliper rather than replacing it. Which may be a perfectly valid repair: is certainly what I would try first.
Take me to your lizard...
Hairyloon

Location: From there to here and here to there... Funny things are everywhere.

Postby miner » Thu Feb 23, 2017 8:16 pm

Hairyloon wrote:Sounds like they unstuck the calliper rather than replacing it. Which may be a perfectly valid repair: is certainly what I would try first.

..... From the armchair mechanic........ :roll:

As diy said,
You've been through a winter since, so all sorts of crap could have been picked up.
miner

Postby NeverRemembers » Thu Feb 23, 2017 9:00 pm

diy wrote:btw its not affecting just your fuel consumption it has the potential to throw you in a ditch. I had a binding caliper on a motorbike once and the front let go on the gentlest of bends as it was equivalent to having the front brakes on slightly, which is not good when going around a corner.

Yeah, I understand that, the fuel consumption is a relatively low cost compared to the cost of the replacement discs and pads.

Will give them a shout to see what they wish to do to remedy it, if anything.

Although the car is out of warranty, would the replacement caliper not still be under? Don't mind splitting the cost of replacement, it's probably the labour which is the most expensive cost anyway.
NeverRemembers

Postby Hairyloon » Thu Feb 23, 2017 9:14 pm

NeverRemembers wrote:Although the car is out of warranty, would the replacement caliper not still be under?

If they fitted a new one and it was a warrantied part, then it might be, but I'd be surprised if it was.
Don't mind splitting the cost of replacement, it's probably the labour which is the most expensive cost anyway.

Not necessarily, caliper replacement is fairly straightforward and quick unless there is a problem, and calipers can be dear: could go either way.
Take me to your lizard...
Hairyloon

Location: From there to here and here to there... Funny things are everywhere.

Postby diy » Thu Feb 23, 2017 9:16 pm

Did you pay them to replace the calliper? If not, then no. You can only argue the repair is covered by warranty, if you can prove that they didn't fit the parts they claimed or they didn't do the work properly. Its more than 6 months since they did the work.
Last edited by diy on Thu Feb 23, 2017 9:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My suggestions are not legal advice
diy

Postby miner » Thu Feb 23, 2017 9:19 pm

You seem to have no mechanical understanding, I'm afraid.

If a caliper is binding, the caliper, the brake fluid in the cylinder, the brake pads and the brake disc are all getting HOT, the result being IMPAIRED BRAKING.

The impaired fuel consumption may not bother you, but the impaired braking SHOULD, as it compromises YOUR safety and the safety of OTHERS.
miner

Postby NeverRemembers » Sat Feb 25, 2017 12:43 pm

I understand how braking systems work thanks. I did maintain them on my motorcycles in the past. :)
NeverRemembers

Next

Return to Contract and Consumer Law