Discussing UK law. Links: swarb.co.uk | law-index | Acts | Members Image galleries

Restaurant bans kids - discriminatory?

Re: Restaurant bans kids - discriminatory?

Postby Hairyloon » Fri Dec 16, 2016 6:17 pm

dls wrote:The owner is applying the simplest and rudest logic - some kids are awful, so ban the lot.

I will not serve you because some other people, randomly associated by a protected characteristic, cause me difficulties.
I do not see where this starts from as either a proportionate response or as serving a proper need.

Substutute any other protected characteristic, and see what happens.

Very well put, and almost irrefutable, except that I don't believe the association is entirely random: almost all kids are sometimes awful.
Take me to your lizard...
Hairyloon

Location: From there to here and here to there... Funny things are everywhere.

Postby atticus » Fri Dec 16, 2016 7:24 pm

Turn it around and ask the owner of the business how he sees this achieving a legitimate aim. Surely the legislative text that dls quotes shows that that is the question to be asked. The burden of proof is on the owner of the business.
atticus

Postby Boo » Fri Dec 16, 2016 7:30 pm

For me, it's not so much about the kids playing up - but the parent's reactions to the kids playing up.

"You won't get any ice cream if you're going to be naughty" said loudly enough for all to hear so it looks as if the parents have got a handle on things - two minutes later, the kid's behaviour has escalated, the parents resort to getting up close and personal, "do you want ice cream?!" said through gritted teeth - before they go on into ignore the kid mode. That doesn't work so they remove their bundle of joy as chaos reins.
The rest of the restaurant shake their heads and tut quietly but are relieved the row has ended.

I don't want to go to a pub or restaurant where kids are present.

Merry Christmas! :D
God - "I have made Mankind!"
Angels - "You screwed up a perfectly good monkey is what you did. Look at it. It's got anxiety!"
Boo

Postby atticus » Fri Dec 16, 2016 7:34 pm

I have now read about it on the bbc news site. The owner explains her reasons. I think she has a point.

And I'm with Boo.

Actually I have long held a theory that when you are a parent of small ones some hormone kicks in that makes you tolerant of all small kids. As your kids grow, levels of that hormone tail off, and intolerance levels rise. Until you get to be a grandparent, I suppose.
atticus

Previous

Return to Contract and Consumer Law